Injuries are very common in sports as you are indulging in core physical activity. While minor pains, sprains and injuries can be neglected, one should not overlook major injuries that may affect your mobility. In this article, we talk about common sports injuries and how they can be prevented. Every beginner level athlete must be aware of these.
Playing sports can have a vital role in mental and physical development of a person. For High performance sports people often undergo serious training and not always under proper monitoring. This increases chances of physical as well as mental strain on them which can lead to injuries.
According to Dr. G.L. Khanna, Pro Vice Chancellor, Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, “The leading cause of sports injuries is overtraining syndrome. When an athlete trains more than his ability, injuries are highly likely to occur. The incidence of injuries during international athletic competitions is 10% to 14% of the total number of athletes in the world. Nearly two million people around the world suffer sports injuries during these events, and the common causes include poor training, structural changes, weak muscles and unsafe exercise environment including the equipment used.”
Common sports injuries
There are different factors behind sports injuries. These depend upon the technicalities of the sport, which includes muscle movement, strain on joints & muscles, age, and preparedness of the athlete. Here are some common sports injuries:
- Ankle sprains: If you land on a surface, especially uneven surfaces, abruptly, it may cause ligament tear around the ankle. This could be partial or full ligament tear. While ligament tears take a few days to recover, a fracture might take weeks to heal.
- Ankle fractures: Athletes are highly susceptible to ankle fractures. This is caused due to twisting of the ankle, jumping, improper landing, etc. When your ankle is unable to hold your bodyweight or support the leg, it might get fractured.
- Strains: Several contact sports like kabaddi involve repeated motions of twisting, pushing, leaping, etc. This puts players at risk of muscle spasms, cramps, inflammation, etc. which may cause severe complications over time.
- Calf muscle pulls: There are different levels of calf strain that can be experienced differently. When the muscle is overextended, it might tear the muscle tissue.
Other common sports injuries are:
- Knee injuries
- Dislocations and fractures
- Knee injuries
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Lower back or overall back pain
- Impact injuries or head & neck injuries
- Broken teeth and jaws
There are different risks of injuries in different sports. One needs to identify the risks before indulging in any.
Role of equipment in the prevention of sports injuries
The National Safety Council report of 2021 found that the primary reason for most sports injuries is incorrect exercise equipment and techniques. High-risk sports or combat sports need to be performed with the right equipment. For example, high-quality mats for kabaddi can reduce the risk of injuries by two-fold. According to Vaibhav Somani, Director, Gravolite, a good professional sports mat provides the right grip, cushioning, and durability. These are thicker, provide more comfort and safety as compared to workout mats. Besides, training on sports mats also helps athletes prepare for international matches that are mostly held indoors on mats.
Image credits- freepik