Changing Diaper in Public
Changing diapers of babies after definite intervals of time is of utmost necessity. Every parent should be aware of. Diapers are extremely useful in keeping your baby dry and clean especially when you are outdoors. However, it is not wise to continue with the same diaper for an indefinite period of time. Whether it is a disposable diaper or homemade nappy, changing diapers in public can sometimes create uncomfortable situations. You can avoid changing a diaper in public if you are outdoors for a short period of time, but it is unavoidable if you remain out for long hours.
Changing soiled diapers and nappies in public places should be tackled by applying wit and common sense. You should take enough care to dispose of, the soiled diaper in a proper place to avoid any discomfort to the public. It is better to avoid washrooms of airports and stations for changing the diaper. Select any other area within the public place to carry out your task.
Make sure to clean your hands with a sanitizer before changing the diaper in public. According to Dr. Dr.Pankaj Vohra, Paediatrician at Max Healthcare, New Delhi, “Perfect cleanliness and hygienic conditions must be maintained while changing diapers in newborns in order to prevent diaper rashes. It is the tendency of every newborn to wriggle or squirm, and the mother should not take her eyes off the baby for a moment while changing his/her diaper.”
Some useful tips for changing a diaper in public:
- Carry a disposable pad or paper cover when you are venturing out with your newborn. Select a suitable flat surface and place the pad or paper to cover it before you start diapering in public. You can also use paper towels instead of pads or paper covers.
- Place your baby comfortably on the padded surface and start undressing him from the bottom.
- Take out a fresh diaper, open it and place it properly beside your baby. You can place the fresh one under the old one if there is insufficient space.
- Keep few baby wipes ready at hand before opening the used diaper. Now unfasten the diaper, and clean the soiling from your baby’s bottom with the baby wipes. Wipe the whole area dry before putting on a fresh diaper.
- Wrap the soiled diaper properly in the wrapper provided or in any small plastic bag and keep it aside.
- Now start fastening the diaper, already positioned before and fasten it properly. In this way you can prevent the baby’s bottom from touching the flat surface.
- After you have finished diapering your baby, remove all the paper covers or pads from the surface and throw it in bins along with the used diaper. Be cautious not to leave the diapering station untidy after your use.
Always carry enough baby wipes, diapers, paper towels and covers before stepping outdoors. Your process of diapering in public places must not invite frowns from the public due to the offensive smell of soiled diapers. Follow the diapering steps meticulously, and you will not face any difficulties at all!
Read more articles on Newborn Care
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jul 19, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.