It is quite likely for an expectant woman to experience pelvic pain during second trimester. Take a look at the details of pelvic pain during pregnancy and its effects on foetal development.
Are you experiencing pain in the pelvic region during pregnancy? It could be more serious that just a normal pain, and so you cannot avoid this issue any longer. Here is a detailed understanding on your pelvic pain during pregnancy.
Pelvic pain causes discomfort to expectant mother. It usually occurs as a result of changes in woman’s body when she prepares for childbirth. It may occur as a symptom of infection or from pain in the pelvic bone, or in non-reproductive internal organs. Pelvic pain is an indication that there is some problem in the pelvic area, which includes uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, cervix or vagin
Causes of Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
- Round ligament pain is usually experienced by expectant mothers during second trimester, encountering pain between the uterus and the groin. With uterus beginning to enlarge, ligament starts stretching. The American Pregnancy Association advises pregnant women to take extra care when changing positions or bending at the hips or waist, or while laughing or coughing. If you experience pelvic pain persistently during pregnancy, you must contact your gynaecologist on an urgent basis.
- Pregnant woman may gain up to 15 kilos during pregnancy. Gaining so much of weight in a matter of few months can strain the pelvis. The strain can only be decreased or prevented by taking necessary precautions.In the late third trimester, body of expectant mother begins to prepare for labour. You may experience false labour pains, and the contractions may be felt in the hip, back or abdomen. The pain in the pelvis during last trimester is mild in comparison to labour; itlasts for a few seconds.
- Inadequate production of pregnancy hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), could also be a cause of pelvic pain.
- An ectopic pregnancy could be another cause of pelvic pain during pregnancy, wherein fertilised egg begins to develop in the fallopian tubes. It usually occurs in the first trimester, and the pain experienced is sudden and severe.
- Constipation could be another cause of pelvic pain during this time as it is a common complain of expecting mothers during pregnancy. Hormones and iron supplements act to slow down the digestive tract thus causing constipation. You are to drink plenty of water and eat fiber rich foods such as raw fruits and vegetables to help ease your situation.
How serious is Pelvic Pain during Pregnancy
At times women complain of serious pain and complications during pregnancy and this may cause different kinds of pain in them, If a woman is experiencing pelvic pain that is couples with some symptoms such as fever and bleeding then you must visit the doctor immediately.
Treatment of Pelvic Pain during Pregnancy
The treatment of pelvic pain depends on the cause, and the intensity of discomfort experienced by expectant mother. Health experts may prescribe medications to treat it along with antibiotics. If the pain occurs as a result of dysfunction in pelvic organs, you might have to undergo medical surgery.
Pregnancy fitness, including pelvic exercise, keeps discomfort of pelvic pain at bay. Start doing pelvic exercise as it will prepare you childbirth and relieve stress associated with pregnancy. Ask for assistance of your doctor who would include pelvic exercises, such as stretching and kegels, in the pregnancy fitness regimen.
You must at all times be on your toes and consult a doctor when you experience pain, there is no other way to get well and things can get worse if you keep to yourself.
Read more articles on Pregnancy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.