Cancer is Not Deadly if Detected Early
- Early diagnosis helps the outlook
- More time means better treatment
- Patients may survive significantly longer
We all know the treatment of cancer requires time, effort and lot of money. But early detection of cancer can play a major role in increasing the chances of full recovery from cancer. Here is why it is crucial to go for regular checkups and screening tests to diagnose cancer at an early stage:
Diagnosis of bowel cancer in early stage increases chances of survival for more than 5 years.
[Read: 10 Great High-fibre Foods]
Did you know more than 90 percent of women who were diagnosed with breast cancer at an early stage were able to survive for at least 5 years more as compared to those who were diagnosed with cancer at the advanced stage?
Just like breast cancer, women who were diagnosed at an early stage of ovarian cancer had lived for 5 more years as compared to those who were diagnosed with the most advanced stage of cancer.
[Read: Causes of Thyroid Cancer]
Researchers have found that early diagnosis of lung cancer can allow most of the patients to live at least a year longer.
Early diagnosis not only helps with the outlook thus increasing the chances of survival, it also allows ample time to figure out the best suitable treatment for the patient.
Steps for Prevention
- Stop smoking (active and passive) and intake of alcohol to prevent lung, head and neck cancers
- Avoid high fat and rich foods, eat whole grains, fruits and fresh vegetables to prevent cancer of breast, prostate and colon
- Exercise to stay healthy
- Avoid exposure to household solvent cleaners, cleaning fluids and paint thinners, pesticides, fungicides and other chemicals to avoid lung cancer
- Avoid multiple sex partners to avoid cancer of cervix
- Avoid direct sunlight in summers to avoid skin cancers
- Get screening tests like the Pap smears, mammograms, prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and digital rectal examinations (DREs) for secondary prevention
Steps for Early Diagnosis
- Each and every individual should do self-examination once a month
- Each and every individual visiting his / her doctor for any ailment should get screened for cancer
- Annual cancer check-up should be done at cancer hospitals
- Suspected cancer cases should be investigated urgently to confirm or rule out cancer
Image source: Getty
Read more articles on Cancer.
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 07, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.