Can Dry Skin cause Wrinkles?
Understand Dry Skin - Skin ageing showing up as wrinkles is difficult to deal with unless you follow some prevention tips beforehand.
Skin ageing can be a one of the toughest problems to deal with. Ageing skin is characterised by the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and dark spots. Wrinkles are often more prone to dry skin, than normal or oily skin. This is because when the skin is dry it allows external harmful substances and free radicals to affect the underlying layers easily. This happens due to lack of moisture cover.
Therefore, the collagen and the elastin, which are primarily responsible for keeping the skin soft and supple, tend to deplete. As a result, the skin starts to lose its elasticity and wrinkles begin to appear on the surface. Dried and parched skin is the ideal breeding ground for signs of ageing. Therefore, instead of planning to treat them when they have appeared already, you should adopt preventive measures to rectify the dryness and do away with the wrinkles before they appear.
Preventing Wrinkles on Dry Skin
Be proactive about the way you look after your skin. Some preventive measures might include:
- Stay away from the sun as much as possible. The harmful ultraviolet radiations of the sun can prove to be immensely damaging for the skin. They are known to cause dryness, freckles, sunburns and fine lines. Therefore, you should be using a high quality moisturizing sun block before exposing yourself to sunlight for extended periods at a stretch. Look for a sunscreen which is at least SPF 30.
- Keep your skin moisturized and hydrated by regular application of a good quality moisturizer twice a day. Irrespective of the season, you need to continue applying the moisturizer. Use a lighter variant during the summer season, especially so if the climate happens to be humid. Winters will warrant the usage of intense moisturizers for restoring the moisture content.
- Stick to a healthy diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, especially ones which have ample water content. This could be especially favourable for your skin. At the same time, you need to consume at least eight to ten glasses of water each day. This will keep the skin hydrated.
- Indulge in some sort of physical exercise regularly. This will improve blood circulation and make the skin look healthier.
- If you are a chain smoker, you need to quit now. Cigarette smoking is not only injurious to your lungs but also for your skin. When you smoke, the skin loses its natural ability to combat free radicals. This can in turn damage the cells which make up your skin, resulting in visible blemishes. In addition, it can also cause the oestrogen levels to fall, also dissolving skin tissues.
These are some of the basic measures you can adopt to prevent excessive dryness of skin resulting in wrinkles. In summation, the answer to questions like can dry skin cause wrinkles, is a worrying yes. Although you cannot do away with them altogether, you can surely keep them within manageable limits through effective measures.
Read more articles on Understand Dry Skin
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Apr 23, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.