Bland Diet for Weight Loss
A bland diet is a diet for those suffering from different gastrointestinal problems such as such as peptic ulcer disease, chronic gastritis, reflux esophagitis and dyspepsia. It is also prescribed to those who are recovering from surgery. The diet is composed of food that is generally low in fat.
A bland diet is basically composed of soft food that does not cause any acidity. It also contains least amount of seasoning to avoid any digestive reactions. Foods and beverages such as coffee, alcohol, chocolate, carbonated sodas, dried beans, fried meats, popcorn, corn chips, whole grain products and most raw fruits and vegetables are completely restricted in a bland diet. A bland diet consists of:
- Liquid- In bland diet liquids are taken in the form of soup, milk, fruit and vegetable juices and gelatin. Weak tea and clear beverages like water without soda are also recommended during bland diet. Fluids helps in keeping you hydrated and they also make you feel full as there are limited choices of solid food in bland diet.
- Solid- Softer food are taken in a bland diet. It includes mashed potatoes, cooked rice, bread, crackers, oatmeal, cream of wheat, cooked vegetables, tofu, peanut butter, applesauce and lean tender meats. Low sugar and low fat food are preferred during bland diet. Fruit smoothies, fresh bananas, grapefruits and oranges can be taken in a bland diet.
Because of controlled eating, it is regarded as an excellent diet for weight loss. But it cannot be considered to be followed for long. It makes one’s digestion better and suppresses one’s appetite, thereby causing weight loss. The weight loss by bland diet food is attributed to:
- No intake of food rich in fats and cholesterol.
- Low intake of solid food.
- High intake of fibers and liquid induces weight loss.
- Having low calories in diet automatically helps in weight reduction.
Bland diet is designed to help the body in controlling the amount of fat that it is absorbing. This diet excludes the foods that have been fried, contain a lot of fat and spices, and those that are raw; hence helps in weight loss. But still a bland diet is not something that you can follow life-long. If your concerned doctor allows you to follow a bland diet, ask about the time frame for which you have to follow it.
Read more articles on Weight Loss.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 08, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.