Balanitis is not a serious condition. In most cases, it can be prevented by practicing good personal hygiene and avoiding skin irritation.
Balanitis can occur in both children and adults (any age). Studies suggest that about 1 in 20 boys under the age of 5 and about 1 in 10 men, who visit a doctor for genito-urinary (GUM) problem, have balanitis. It is not a serious condition. In most cases, it can be treated successfully and prevented. Here are some tips to prevent balanitis.
Practising good personal hygiene is considered as the best way to prevent balanitis. Some ways to maintain good levels of hygiene are:
- Cleaning excess urine from the end of the penis after urinating such as if you get up during the night to pass urine, clean and dry the tip of your penis (glans) completely before going back to bed.
- Wash the tip of your penis (glans) carefully daily and gently clean under the foreskin (the loose flap of skin that covers the head of the penis).
- Do not use perfumed shower gels. Cleaning with just water or along with a mild soap is enough to clean your penis. You may use an aqueous cream as a soap substitute as it will help to avoid irritation.
- After taking bath or shower, dry your penis well before getting dressed.
Skin irritation is one of the most common causes of balanitis. Some ways to avoid skin irritation and thereby avoid getting balanitis are:
- After urinating, clean the tip of penis so that it is free of urine and dry the tip of your penis completely before replacing the foreskin.
- Chemicals present in condoms or lubricants can irritate the penis. If you think your symptoms are probably caused due to this, use a condom specifically made for sensitive skin. If it does not improve the condition, consult a doctor for advice.
- Use biological washing powder to wash your underwear and ensure that all the detergent has been rinsed out during washing.
- If you work with chemicals, wash your hands before using the toilet to remove any traces of the product on your hands to prevent irritation of the delicate skin of your penis.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.