Benefits of Running during Pregnancy
Pregnancy Fitness - The benefits of running during pregnancy include keeping a check on excessive body weight and keeping symptoms such as nausea and constipation at bay. During pregnancy, a woman also benefits by staying fit and keeping up her ov
It is very necessary to stay active while you are pregnant. It ensures fitness of both the mother and the child. Exercising during pregnancy helps in building up the stamina required for delivery.
One of the best pregnancy exercises is running. Here are the benefits of running during pregnancy:
- Various problems related to pregnancy such as nausea, fatigue and constipation can be reduced by running while pregnant.
- Running alsot helps in reducing and preventing gestational diabetes and in lowering back pain.
- Delivery complications and labour pain can be reduced to a great extent by running during pregnancy. It also reduces the chances of c-section.
- Expecting mothers who follow fitness regime during pregnancy have less swelling of extremities.
- The expectant mothers who have a habit of running during pregnancy do not experience the problem of excessive weight gain. They also have a better posture.
- Pregnancy running not only makes the expecting mothers feel good, but it also leads to increased flow of energy.
- Pregnancy running helps in reducing baby fat of the unborn child without affecting the normal body weight.
- Pregnancy fitness also leads to better blood circulation and placental efficiency.
- Running is one of the best cardio exercises that increases blood circulation and thus supplies oxygen and necessary nutrients to the foetus.
It is very necessary to take certain precautionary measures while running during pregnancy. Here are some of the points that should be kept in mind by the expectant mothers while running:
- Stay well hydrated before and after running as dehydration may lead to decreased blood flow to the uterus causing untimely contractions.
- Have proper warming up sessions before running and stretching sessions after running. It will reduce the risk of any injury.
- Expectant mothers experience increased pressure on their bladder. Therefore it is necessary to plan the running session somewhere close to bathroom.
- Make sure that you are wearing a good and supportive sports bra while running.During pregnancy breasts enlarge and they require proper support while running.
- During the later stages of pregnancy, the center of gravity changes with the increase in belly size. Therefore it is very important to mind your steps. Taking slower and shorter steps is a good idea when running during pregnancy.
- It is very important to have a good pair of shoes with perfect fitting for the expectant mothers. As the centre of gravity changes, the back sways, feet gets swollen and the joints gets looser having a good pair of shoes for running becomes requisite for support.
As you approach towards the end of the pregnancy, you may experience some difficulty in running because of increased body weight. Therefore, think of some alternate programs for fitness during pregnancy such as walking or yoga but make sure that you stay active and energetic throughout the pregnancy.
Read more articles on Pregnancy Fitness
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 14, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.