Most women after abortion do not need to stay in the hospital unless they have a medical condition that requires monitoring after the procedure or if she develops complications because of the surgical procedure.
Follow Up Care after Medical Abortion
- If you go for medical abortion at least 2 visits to the clinic are required. At the first visit a medicine known as mifepristone is given. It has to be taken by mouth at the hospital or clinic. At the second visit 48 hours later your doctor will ask about symptoms of pregnancy, bleeding, and cramping. If there is doubt that the pregnancy termination is not complete you will be given misoprostol dose at this visit.
- A third visit, 12-20 days later is recommended. The doctor will ask you about symptoms of pregnancy and may do an ultrasound to verify that the pregnancy has terminated. After medical abortion continue conducting pregnancy test as advised by your doctor until the test is negative. An empty uterus on ultrasonography, a decrease in hCG level by 90%, or a negative pregnancy test indicate completion of the medical abortion.
Follow Up Care after Surgical Termination of Pregnancy
- Your doctor will monitor you for at least 30 minutes after the surgery, checking for abdominal pain, unusual bleeding and observing vital signs.
- It is advisable to consult your doctor if birth control anintrauterine device (IUD) for birth control can be inserted or hormonal injection for birth control can be given to you before you leave the hospital after surgical abortion.
- Postoperative follow up 1-3 weeks after the procedure is important. Your doctor will check to make sure that the pregnancy has been terminated, you have no medical complications, and will discuss and offer contraceptive care (if you have yet not started with some kind of contraceptives) and assess your psychological status.
Consult Your Doctor if You Have any of These Symptoms
- Severe abdominal pain.
- Heavy bleeding (more than four or five pads per hour or more than 12 pads in 24 hours).
- Continued pregnancy symptoms (can be an ectopic pregnancy).
- Fever of 100.4°F or higher .
Take your medications pain relievers (after surgery, such as acetaminophen ibuprofen, naproxen), or antibiotics as advised by your doctor. It is important to note emergency contact numbers and instructions regarding what to do in case of an emergency.
Read more articles on Abortion.