It is always a treat to touch a newborn baby; their skin is so soft, gentle and beautiful that everyone desires to touch it. But this may harm your baby’s skin in many ways. The skin of a newborn baby is extremely sensitive. It is so delicate that it is more susceptible to several skin problems like dryness, eczema, acne and skin rashes. Therefore, a new baby needs a lot of skin care, so while taking care of newborn baby skin, there are quite a few things to remember. Read on to know about the best skin care you can provide for your baby.
Tips to take care of newborn baby skin
- Use of Baby products - Some baby products are a reason for the development of bacterial infections in babies. Parents should make sure that they keep their child away from harmful chemicals like hard soaps, lotions and anything that contains dyes and fragrances. These chemicals decrease the good bacteria, leading to skin dryness, allergies and other infections.
- Selection of oils and lotions - An oil massage is very relieving and effective for newborn babies, but parents usually make mistakes in choosing the right baby oil. Herbal healing oils and lotions should be preferred over mineral oils, which can harm your baby’s skin. And for baby skin, chamomile, olive oil, almond oil and aloe oils are best suited.
- Baby bath - For a newborn, a daily bath is not required. Too much soap and water can cause skin irritations and allergies, so it is advisable to only sponge bath your baby with lukewarm water twice or thrice a day. Always dry up the skin with a soft cloth to clean up any residue. In case of dryness, a baby moisturizer (preferably herbal) can be applied to maintain the natural moisture balance of the skin.
- Baby Bedding and Clothing - Regular bedding and clothing change is a must as this would not allow dust to get in contact with your baby. Do not dress your baby in tight clothes. Loose fitting clothes prevent sweating and skin rashes, so beware of choosing the right things for your baby.
- Early peeling of skin - It’s a very important thing to note that newborn babies normally shed a protective layer of skin during their first few days. . It is therefore advisable not to rub or peel this layer of skin.
These are a few things which should be kept in mind by a mother or caregiver. The everyday care of your baby’s skin will keep them at ease and clean. Your baby will feel happy and relaxed, so find out for yourself what is best suited for your baby’s skincare.