Those suffering from hair loss need not go anywhere as we bring to you some easy nutritional and dietary recommendations to control hair loss in no time. And, the best part – these recommendations can be followed quickly at home
Hair fall can give us sleepless nights. Several reasons contribute to hair fall, and a proper diet and sleep are appropriate to keep your hair and skin healthy. The most common causes of hair loss can be physical and mental. The physical factors for hair loss can be high fever, nutritional deficiency, crash dieting or anaemia, irregular menses, childbirth, abortion, oral contraceptives. Medicines like antibiotics, steroids, chemotherapy, anti-hypertensive and hormonal pills also contribute to hair loss. Mental factors include stress and depression. The other common factors of hair loss are also perming, straightening, hair colouring etc. One should ensure that they eat right, sleep well and take the needed supplements for healthy hair.
Food to Eat for Reducing Hair Loss
Hair fall depends on what you eat. It is necessary to supplement your diet in a way that it helps in controlling hair loss. A proper diet, which includes all the below nutrients, is important to reduce hair loss:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6-B12
- Intake of adequate amount of water
Advise to Reduce Hair Fall
Fruits - Melon, berries, bananas, oranges, apples and many other fruits can supply your body with proper vitamins to reduce hair loss.
Dry fruits - Fig (anjeer) and almond (badam)
Green vegetables - Green leafy vegetables, including spinach, cabbage, etc are great for the hair
Water - Drinking 10-12 glasses of water per day will help transport the needed nutrients to your hair, and the hair strands hydrated and healthy.
Avoid These for Hair Fall
The following food types should be avoided to reduce hair fall:
- Fast foods
- Spicy foods
- Junk foods including deep fried snacks
- Flavoured cold drinks
- Pickles in excess
- Excessive liquor and tobacco
Quick Hair Care Tips
- Stress, irregular eating and sleeping habits are trigger factors, and it plays a major role in hair loss.
- Sudden hair loss is a grave issue. Although many natural causes exist for this condition, it is best to see a doctor immediately.
- Once you start any treatment for hair loss, don’t panic for the results because any treatment will take 4-6 months to yield its effects. There is no way to get faster results.
- Sometimes hair loss also can be a sign of other medical problems too. If you always had healthy, thick hair that grows in a regular cycle, sudden loss of hair or hair thinning can be a sign of other illness too. Malnutrition, anaemia, hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, hormonal imbalance, systematic lupus erythematosus, etc., are examples of medical conditions, which trigger hair loss.
- Wash your hair with appropriate shampoo at least twice in a week, don’t change the brand of shampoo so frequently, and stick to one brand that suits you.
- If you have dry and dull hair, avoid using shampoo daily, try every alternate day.
- Don’t apply shampoo directly on your hair. Dilute it or make foam in your palm then use it. It will minimise the negative effects of shampoo. It is advisable to use a little oil (coconut, almond, etc.) at least half an hour before shampooing.
- Don’t use a conditioner on every wash
- Beauty treatments like perming, straightening, rebounding, hair colouring make your hair looks pretty but remember all these include strong chemicals. Any chemical action on the hair may breaks down the chemical bonds of the hair cuticle and cortex. Permanent damage quickly sets in, and your hair will rapidly get worse.
- Avoid exposing your hair to extreme temperatures and pollution levels as it can damage the chemical bonds of hair follicles, further increasing the rate of hair fall.
- Don’t use poor quality rubber bands; it may tangle your hair and break off.
- Keep your comb and hairbrush clean. Wash it in hot water with antiseptic, once in a week.
Read more Articles on Hair Care
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.