You may fall into a peaceful slumber every time you hit the sack, but the same can’t be said for your partner if you are a snorer. Snoring is not just nuisance for a bedmate, but it can also be sign of a medical condition called sleep apnoea.
The noisy, deep breathing during sleep can be cured with exercises. A study that appeared in the journal CHEST said that practicing mouth exercises can significantly reduce frequent snoring.
Mouth Exercises to Stop Snoring
- Push tip of the tongue against roof of the mouth and slide the tongue backward. Do the exercise 10 times daily.
- Suck the tongue upward against the roof of the mouth, and press it against the roof of the mouth. Doing the exercise for 5 minutes every day can stop snoring.
- Force the back of the tongue against the floor of the mouth. Make sure you keep the tip of the tongue in contact with the front bottom teeth.
What else You Need to Do?
- Allergies and nasal congestion can sometimes cause snoring. Consult your doctor if you suspect these to be the cause
- You should eat a light meal before bed. If your stomach is full, it will push up on your diaphragm and limit breathing passage ways. Avoid foods such as cakes, cookies, chocolate and pizza before bedtime
- If you are overweight, you could be struggling to breathe while sleeping or having snoring trouble. Workout and adopt a healthy lifestyle to get to a healthy weight
- Your pillow can sometimes be a reason for congested airways. It can stretch and narrow nasal passage. Try sleeping without pillow for a few days
- There are certain sleep positions that can make you snore more. Likewise, there are sleep positions that can decrease it. Try sleeping on your stomach as snoring is less likely to occur in this position
- Certain medicines can be the culprit. Check with your healthcare provider and if the meds are indeed making you snore, review them.
Read more articles on Sleep Disorders.
For more such articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.