How to Discipline a Child With ADHD?

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Feb 06, 2013

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common childhood developmental disorder. Children with ADHD find it difficult to concentrate and pay attention, and/or may be hyperactive. Their performance in school may not be good and may have problems with their behavior as well. ADHD is a very treatable condition and doctors and specialists can help you. Some tips on how you can encourage good behavior from your child with ADHD.

  • Do not get angry or reprimand him without warning. Say a firm “no” to discourage destructive actions.
  • Have positive and realistic expectations of him; do not make negative comments, as your behavior influences his behavior.
  • Encourage him with praise, good words, smiles, and rewards for good behavior rather than punishments for bad behavior.
  • Children with ADHD find it difficult to adapt to changes, so make his life structured - this does not mean rigidity or iron discipline – but it will make it easier for them to know what has to be done, i.e. like when to do homework, how long to watch TV, when to go to bed, etc.

Be patient and understanding with him and promote proper guidance. His pediatrician / mental health specialist can guide you regarding ways of helping to make positive changes.



Write a Review Feedback
Is it Helpful Article?YES10995 Views 1 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.

  • ANILKUMAR 23 Aug 2012

    Dear Dr Poonam Sachdev, I have read your above article . My son who is now 13 year who have Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Is there any treatment for this & Could you please let us know whom doctor to I consult in Delhi NCR for this . kindly provide the details of concern Doctor

  • All
  • Article
  • Slideshow
  • Video