Wrist Sprain: When should one seek medical advice?

By  , Expert Content
Feb 03, 2012

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Wrist sprain most commonly occurs after a fall. Many people with a wrist sprain may treat it at home with rest to the injured wrist, ice application and taking simple analgesics such as acetaminophen, aspirin or ibuprofen, which can help to decrease pain.

Consult a doctor for wrist sprain if you have any of the following symptoms suggestive of significant injury:

  • Significant pain when you try to move your wrist.
  • If pain prevents you from moving the wrist normally in any direction.
  • Symptoms do not improve within two to three days of treatment at home after injury.
  • Significant swelling at the wrist.

Consult a doctor immediately or go to a hospital's emergency department if:

  • You have severe pain, deformity, numbness in the wrist. An obvious deformity or severe swelling may be due to a broken bone that needs to be moved back into its normal position.
  • You are unable to move the wrist. It may be caused by a complete tear of the ligament, which may need surgery.

Who to consult

Health professionals, who can be consulted for wrist sprain, include:

  • General practitioner.
  • Orthopaedician.
  • Family physician.
  • Nurse practitioner.
  • Assistants of Physician.




Write Comment Read ReviewDisclaimer
Is it Helpful Article?YES11893 Views 0 Comment