Vaccination is extremely essential for newborns, and hence proper care must be taken by parents to keep a check on the same.
Importance and Objective of Vaccination in Newborns: Vaccination is a generally safe method of preventing several deadly diseases and their related complications. Some of the most common diseases that can affect newborns, infants, children or even adults include:
- Diphtheria: Serious throat infection that can block airways
- Polio: Can lead to paralysis and disability
- Tetanus: Can cause muscle spasms leading to death
- Whooping cough: Respiratory disease which can be fatal in infants
- Hepatitis B: Viral infection affecting the liver
- Haemophilus influenzae (Hib): Can cause mild to serious infections like pneumonia or brain fever
Thus, the primary objective of vaccination is to provide protection to newborns against these deadly diseases and against the complications that these diseases can present.
Additionally, if children are left unprotected or are not vaccinated on time, they can become carriers, if infected, and can also spread the disease to others who are not vaccinated or are with weak immune systems. Hence, it is important for parents to vaccinate their children at appropriate times to develop immunity or protection against life-threatening diseases. 1
Are you worried about multiple vaccine injection shots that your child might receive in a single visit?
In the last decade, the number of routine vaccinations for children has increased considerably. This means every child may receive a minimum of 2 injection shots per visit or per consultation. And this has to be done on a periodic basis as per the schedule for protection from a number of serious diseases.2 Receiving more than 2 shots of vaccination in a single visit can cause pain and discomfort for both the infants or children and their parents. 3, 4
With a combination vaccination, you don’t have to worry anymore!
Combination vaccination means combining multiple vaccines into a single shot. Children get fewer injection pricks but protection achieved is similar as they would have with separate vaccines.
Combination vaccinations are well-tolerated and effective as are single vaccinations. Combination vaccinations have a suitable safety profile as they are prepared and manufactured by following all the necessary guidelines provided by health organizations and regulatory bodies.5
The combination vaccination against 3 to 6 diseases helps in protecting children against deadly diseases with fewer shots and fewer clinic visits. Combination vaccinations can provide on-time protection to children and reduce the painful experience for both the child and the parents. Giving a combination vaccination instead of multiple shots at the same time saves parents time & money and reduces the number of visits to the doctor’s office or clinic5, 6
When your baby is 0-2 months old, consult your Pediatrician to know more about protection from up to 6 diseases with combination vaccination.
- Vaccineinformation.org. 2020. Vaccine Basics - Importance Of Vaccines. [online] Available at: <https://vaccineinformation.org/vaccines-save-lives/#:~:text=Vaccination%20protects%20children%20from%20serious,%2C%20brain%20damage%2C%20and%20death.&text=Vaccine%2Dpreventable%20diseases%2C%20such%20as,cough%2C%20are%20still%20a%20threat.> [Accessed 1 December 2020].
- Tandfonline.com. 2020. [online] Available at: <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4161/hv.29361> [Accessed 1 December 2020].
- Cdc.gov. 2020. Combination Vaccines – Fewer Shots Same Protection | CDC. [online] Available at: <https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/why-vaccinate/combination-vaccines.html> [Accessed 1 December 2020].
- Skibinski DA, Baudner BC, Singh M, O'Hagan DT. Combination vaccines. J Glob Infect Dis. 2011;3(1):63-72. doi:10.4103/0974-777X.77298
- Cdc.gov. 2020. Multiple Vaccinations At Once | Vaccine Safety | CDC. [online] Available at: <https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/multiple-vaccines-immunity.html> [Accessed 1 December 2020].
- Vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk. 2020. Combination Vaccines And Multiple Vaccinations | Vaccine Knowledge. [online] Available at <https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/combination-vaccines-and-multiple-vaccinations> [Accessed 1 December 2020].
A public awareness initiative by GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited. Dr. Annie Besant Road, Worli, Mumbai 400 030, India. Information appearing in this material is for general awareness only and does not constitute any medical advice. Please consult your physician for medical queries if or any question or concern you may have regarding your condition.
Please consult your Pediatrician for the complete list of Vaccine preventable diseases and the complete vaccination schedule for each disease.
Please report an adverse event with any GSK product to the company at firstname.lastname@example.org
India. NP-IN-INH-OGM-200060, DOP July 2020
Authored by: Dhanunjay Reddy Bonthu, Medical Content Writer, Practo
Read more articles on Children's Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.