One of the major health problems faced today by India is the sharp increase in the number of diabetes cases in India.
Due to rapid industrialisation and modernisation, there is a sudden change in the lifestyle of the people. Diabetes is now turning from a mere epidemic to a pandemic due to the following reasons:
- Stress: A stressful lifestyle that leads to fluctuations in the blood pressure.
- Age: The age at which diabetes is detected in India is very low as compared to other countries.
- A sedentary lifestyle
- Lack of physical activity and exercise.
- Diet containing high amount of fat, sugar and carbohydrates
- Lack of awareness about the disease.
- Neglect on part of the diabetics who think that insulin shots might lead to its addiction, do not care about taking proper medication or going to a proper doctor.
- Hereditary, whereby it is passed on to generations, resulting in the spread.
- Failure on part of the system to generate funds and spread awareness about diabetes.
The condition can be improved by taking large scale measures:
- Spreading awareness
- Changing the lifestyle to an active one, including an exercise regime in the daily schedule
- Cutting down on the high calorie intake and substituting it by whole wheat food
- Visiting a doctor if any symptoms are felt
- Regular check ups and proper medication
Read more articles on Understand Diabetes