Exercise may be good for most of us but there are some who are compulsive exercisers, who insist on exercising even if it harms them.
For most of us, exercise is an essential part of life which we do not get enough of. A small minority of people are the exact opposite. They are the exercise addicts who cannot live without exercising even if it hurts. It has been estimated that around 10 percent of high performance runners and about the same percentage of body builders suffer from this addiction.
Such people are not satisfied with 30 minutes a day workout. This is all that you need to be in pink of health. On the other hand, the exercise over zealots tend to think that exercising 2 hours daily would bring about 4 times better health.
Some characteristics of such compulsive exercisers
- Not bothering so much about socialising or even going to work but choosing to exercise instead.
- Continue exercising even though their health is not up to it, and they are suffering from a condition.
- Obsessed with amount of calories eaten and burned.
- Not taking rest even when hurt due to exercising.
- No such thing as exercising for the fun of it.
- If unable to exercise, it becomes emotionally upsetting with great stress. Even depression can result in some cases.
- Always being preoccupied by thoughts of burning calories during the day, even when not exercising.
A condition similar to exercise addiction or compulsive exercising is exercise bulimia. These exercises do so as a punishment for binge eating. They tend to overeat or eat unwholesome foods, and then to account for it, justify their obsession with exercising. It becomes a two-edged sword for them – they cannot resist themselves from overeating and then, justify it by overstressing themselves when exercising. Their health takes a beating under both the circumstances.
It could be difficult for some to determine whether they are exercising excessively or not. In general, if you find yourself showing any of the symptoms mentioned above, be on your guard. If exercise has become one of the foremost thought in your mind, so much so that each and every aspect of your life has to revolve around it, know that something is round. If you feel this is dedication, think again. It just might be an unhealthy obsession.
Some health problems due to excessive exercise
- Compromised immune system.
- Problems in reproduction.
- Stress fractures and sprains.
- Heart problems.
- Kidney disorders.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.