What is Treacher Collins Syndrome
- Treacher Collins Syndrome affects the head and face.
- Down-slanting eyes and notched lower eyelids are its characteristics.
- Most children with Treacher Collins have normal development.
- They benefit from early intervention speech and language programs.
Treacher Collins Syndrome, also called mandibulofacial dysostosis, affects the head and face.
- Down-slanting eyes
- Notched lower eyelids
- Underdevelopment or absence of cheekbones and the side wall and floor of the eye socket
- Lower jaw is often small and slanting
- Forward fair in the sideburn area
- Underdeveloped, malformed and/or prominent ears
Most children with Treacher Collins have normal development and intelligence; however, it is important that there be early hearing tests. Most children with Treacher Collins Syndrome benefit from early intervention speech and language programs.
Treacher Collins Syndrome is believed to be caused by a change in the gene on chromosome 5, which affects facial development. About 40 percent of the time, one parent has the Treacher Collins Syndrome gene. Geneticists can now determine whether the Treacher Collins gene is a new mutation or one that has been passed on. There are new studies being done to see about the possibilities of there being other genes that could be involved with this syndrome.
In addition to the physical characteristics common to Treacher Collins syndrome, your child may have some or all of the following problems:
- Breathing problems and/or eating difficulties
- Most children have a 40% hearing loss in each ear due to abnormalities of the outer and middle ear, which conduct sound to the nerve endings
- The eyes have a tendency to dry out, which can lead to infection
- Cleft palate often occurs with Treacher Collins Syndrome
Read more articles on Treacher Collins Syndrome
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 25, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.