Diabetes clear liquid diet foods: Nothing is best than water. It is the best perfect drink for everyone. It is said that 'the best things in the world are free', but nowadays nothing is free. Water doesn't count any
However, you just can't survive on water, especially when you have a fatal disease like diabetes. Diabetics are advised to intake liquid or food every two hours to maintain the level of blood sugar. There are several tempting and healthy drinks available in the market, but do you think is it good to have in diabetes? Hence, it is always advised to make things at home, and talking about liquids or juices, they can be easily prepared in a few mins. These healthy drinks can fit into your diabetes meal plan and can satisfy your cravings too.
Along with the juices, diabetics are also recommended to have certain fruits, but in moderation. Health experts also prove that whole fruits are a far better choice than juices.
Juice And Diabetes
Juices, such as grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, and orange juice, if taken in moderation, are considered appropriate for diabetics. All types of citrus fruit juices are a superfood for diabetics as they are nutrient-rich, says the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Apart from citrus juices, diabetics may also drink apple juice for it is rich in fiber, lemon juice as it is low on carbs, tomato juice as it is low on sugar content and carrot juice as it is juiced raw. All fruit juices, however, also contain a significant amount of sugar, which can cause blood sugar levels to spike. Therefore, moderate consumption of fruit juices is advised.
Carbs from juices also add to your total intake of carbohydrates for the day. Having juice along with the meal can surely reduce the effects of the sugar content of the juice. While citrus juices are low on the Glycemic Index table, pineapple and orange juice are rated 46 and grapefruit juice is rated 48.
Factors Diabetics Should Consider
Consumption of carbs present in the juices results in increased blood sugar levels, though the impact varies from individual to individual. Here are a few points that diabetics should consider if they wish to consume juices or other beverages.
- The recommended amount of fruit or any other drink is 4 oz. per day.
- Drinking juices separately can lead to a quicker spike in blood glucose levels.
Also Read: Can Diabetics drink Alcohol?
- Added sugar in the juices is a major concern for the diabetic’s well-being.
- Fruit and vegetable juice prepared with the original pulp is a good choice for diabetics. Two of the best juices for diabetics include apple and carrot juice.
- The recommended amount of juices can be taken if there is a sudden decrease in blood sugar level as it happens during extreme workout sessions or fasting.
- The carbohydrate content of every juice is different and therefore, the effect of consuming fruit juice on blood sugar level will vary from one fruit to another. Read the label of a container before purchasing to know the nutritional value and sugar content of the juice, suggests ADA.
Also Read: Effects of Whiskey on Diabetics
- Juices with no sugar are among the best drink choices for diabetics.
- The number of calories and carbohydrates in sugar-free juices is way less than in the sugary ones, though the latter are also high in vitamins and minerals.
- No matter what kind of juice you choose, every fruit provides a lot of carbs thus, making them a part of your meal plan would be the best.
- Low-sodium vegetable juices are an excellent alternative to fruit juices, as one cup of vegetable juice contains only 10 grams of carbohydrates and 50 calories whereas 4 oz. of fruit juice provides 15 grams of carbs and 50 plus calories.
- It is recommended to consume citrus fruit juice
- Check the presence of sugar in the juice
- Avoid drinking canned juices
- Drink juice along with meal if you are diabetic
Read more articles on Diabetes
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.