Many people undergoing cancer treatment feel fatigued and exhausted. This is given the term cancer fatigue, know more.
Fatigue is a common thing with people when they overwork or exhaust their bodies beyond the limits. But cancer fatigue is different. People who are undergoing cancer treatment often feel weak, tired and exhausted. This is because of the treatment they are receiving for recovery. There are different causes of cancer fatigue but it can be controlled.
Cancer fatigue causes
Every cancer patient’s health and medical condition is different. While most patients deal with cancer fatigue, they may not have it due to the same reason. There are various causes of cancer fatigue for varied people. Here are some of the possible reasons behind cancer fatigue:
- Cancer condition: Cancer in your body is one of the main causes of cancer fatigue. It releases cytokines protein that is believed to cause cancer fatigue.
- Cancer treatment: Chemotherapy, biological therapy, radiation therapy targeted therapy, etc. can also increase the risk of cancer fatigue. They may target health cells while destroying cancer cells that can lead to fatigue.
- Side-effects- Other after-effects of cancer treatment like nausea, vomiting, insomnia, anemia, etc. can also cause cancer fatigue.
- Anemia- If the treatment has caused a deficiency of health RBCs in the body, you may develop anemia that results in blood loss and fatigue.
- Poor nutrition- If you are not eating nutritiously, you may not be giving enough energy to your body and that is why you feel weak, low and tired. Thus, when you are dealing with a chronic disease, maintaining nutrition is a must.
- Emotional fatigue- Dealing with cancer makes you nervous, anxious, sad and depressed which contributes to cancer fatigue.
- Poor sleep- This is also a prominent factor in cancer fatigue as interrupted sleep is closely associated with cancer fatigue.
- Reduced physical labour- Going through cancer treatments, you might not be physically active which is also making you less energetic and fatigued.
- Medicines- There are certain medications with a chemical formula that causes fatigue.
- Hormonal imbalance: The change in hormonal levels due to the treatment is also a factor for cancer fatigue. These arise due to medication side-effects and affect health and wellness.
These were the major causes of cancer fatigue. This may last for weeks, months or even years depending upon your treatment and health condition.
How to fight cancer fatigue?
Here are some tips to cope with cancer fatigue for healthy living and a better lifestyle. There are several treatments that a doctor may suggest to cope with cancer fatigue including medical treatments and self-care tips.
- Set a time-table and dedicate slots to rest, physical activity, hobbies and other engagements. This helps the body to adopt the changes and recover.
- Consume healthy foods, drink fluids throughout the day and stay clear of unhealthy foods and beverages. Diet plays a very important role in managing the condition.
- If you suffer from acute vomiting and nausea, ask your doctor for medications. This helps in easing fatigue and conserving energy.
- Talk to your family and friends for help. Reach out to them if you feel low to get some motivation.
- Take out some time to perform activities that you live doing such as painting, gardening, playing guitar, etc.
Read more articles on Cancer
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.