What do you mean by baby teething?
Parents often correlate some normal developmental milestones such as drooling and putting fingers in the mouth by about four months old with teething. The facts that you should know on teething are;
- The common symptoms of teething include biting, ear rubbing, gum rubbing, irritability, decreased appetite, a rash face, sucking, waking up at night. Many children with the classic symptoms of teething may not get their first tooth for a few more months.
- Teething is not painful in most of the children. So do not worry.
- Your child’s first tooth can come anytime between 3 to 15 months. Most infants get their first tooth between 4 to 7 months of age.
- The symptoms associated with teething usually start about 4 days before and last 3 days after the tooth erupts.
- Do not associate serious symptoms, such as high fever or irritability, with teething
- Teething gels and teething tablets are often used by some parents, but these are usually not needed for most children during teething.
- If you think your child is uncomfortable due to teething some treatments like a teething aid, teething biscuits, massaging or rubbing the baby's gums, a pain reliever (such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen), teething gels and tablets can be used to help your child find some relief from pain.
Most pediatricians do not recommend teething gels and teething tablets. So, consult a pediatrician if your child has persistent symptoms that you think are due to teething (as you can be wrong and your child may actually be having some other problem).
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.