How to Adopt Your Step-child?
Are you considering adopting your step-child? Do you know it can be easier than a regular adoption? Before you consider this, there are certain things you need to think about.
- Determine if your step-child is comfortable and wants to be adopted by you; it is possible for the child to feel strongly about his biological parent and he may not want to be adopted.
- Determine if your spouse thinks it is right.
- Consider if the parent you would be replacing would be willing to consent to adoption. Without the consent of the biological parent you cannot adopt unless he/she has abandoned the child.
- Consult a lawyer/social worker to know the procedure for adoption in your area.
- Adoption by a step-parent is an easier process, as the waiting period, your eligibility for adoption and further investigations aren’t as strenuous.
- Decide if you want to change the child's last name after the adoption; determine if the child and your spouse are comfortable with it.
- Consider counseling after adoption as this may help the child to deal with his or her feelings about the adoption and the other biological parent.
- You should understand and realize the legal implications of adoption, as this will give the child all the rights of a biological child; you will be responsible for supporting the child and he/she will be entitled to inherit from you when you die.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jul 29, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.