What is Dengue NS1 Antigen Test?
- Early detection of dengue can save life.
- Untreated infection can cause dengue hemorrhagic fever.
- Early diagnosis prevents needless investigations.
- It will let you have proper management.
Early detection of dengue infection can go a long way in avoiding the severe complications this dreaded fever is known to cause. The antibodies that develop due to the infection appear 5 or more days after fever. To facilitate the benefit of early detection in dengue treatment, the Bio-Rad Laboratories and Pasteur Institute developed and introduced the Dengue NS1 Antigen test in 2006. The dengue test has been successful in it purpose.
Some 40 nations have adopted this method since its introduction. The first instance of this test in India was in 2010 in a Mumbai hospital.
Importance of Dengue NS1 Antigen Test
- Early diagnosis of dengue infection is very important because if the symptoms are ignored for a long time, it can result in Dengue Shock (DS) or dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF). These are the primary causes of death.
- Early detection allows for prompt treatment of the patient.
- Early diagnosis also prevents needless investigations and treatment.
- It helps in proper management if any complications return and also their prevention.
It is advisable to find a medical centre in your city which uses the NS1 Antigen Test for earliest possible detection of Dengue. If you find any signs or symptoms in you or your family member, visit a doctor immediately. The dengue NS1 rapid test is most useful for early detection and prompt treatment.
Image courtesy: Getty Images
Read more articles on Dengue Diagnosis and Prognosis
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Apr 02, 2015
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.