Asthma can be very dangerous for your health if precautions are not taken at the right time. Find out what causes asthma and how can it be controlled
Our body is a complex machine and to make it work all the parts need to be healthy and active. But it does not happen in most of the cases because due to having such a complex mechanism there is always something or the other going on in the body. Some diseases are small but some can be severe. They cannot be judged from how a person looks. Similarly there is asthma, it is a severe disease which many people fall for but not all survive easily. Asthma is a lung disease which can turn severe when there are severe asthma attacks. Today let us know what causes this and how asthma can be prevented.
How is Asthma Caused?
Asthma is a condition in which the path through which the air travels from lungs gets narrower resulting in difficulty in breathing. Dr. M.K Patel, General Physician from Indu Hospital, Lucknow says that asthma can increase and cause regular coughing and whistling sound while breathing. Asthma attacks can be caused due to several reasons, Dr. Patel mentions some of them-
Internal Body Cycle- Circadian Rhythm causes some of the hormone levels to fall in the night. Lower levels of hormones result in narrowing the passage of airflow. There passage can increase your symptoms of asthma and result in severe attacks.
Dust Mites- The bed sheet you use and pillow covers may have small microscopic insect like pests which can spread or increase the rate of asthma attacks. This is because sleeping on them, your intake it with your breathe which causes sudden coughing and breathlessness.
Gravity- Due to gravitational pull, when you lay down on the bed, the lungs naturally experience extra pressure on them.
Symptoms of Asthma
Following are the symptoms of asthma that you need to watchout for:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain of tightness in chest.
- Whistling sound while breathing is a common sign to identify asthma in children.
- Asthma signs which are frequently caused
- Need of using inhaler often than usual.
- Increase in difficulty in breathing
- Certain medications can also cause asthma like aspirin, naproxen etc.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease- a condition caused by stomach acids.
Types of Asthma
In some conditions the symptoms of asthma rise in a particular period or due to some other condition. These can be divided into three types of asthma.
Exercise-induced Asthma- When the conditions grow dry and cold, it can trigger up the asthma and cause frequent attacks.
Occupation Asthma- Occupation of some people is such that they encounter smoke, chemical or dust. This is caused in working in such a factory where there is too much smoke etc.
Allergy-induced Asthma- This type of asthma is caused due a particular allergy like airborne substance, pollens, Cockroach waste, pets or any other.
Preventions for Asthma
Unfortunately, there is no as such way to prevent asthma, but you can control it and regulate it by taking the following precautions.
- 1# Monitor Your Treatment- Take regular check-ups and follow the given medication and plan to control asthma attacks.
- 2# Take Vaccination for Influenza and Pneumonia- Asthma can increase if you catch pneumonia or flu. Taking the vaccines for these two can prevent asthma getting worse due to any of these issues.
- 3# Avoid Triggering Asthma- Indentify the cause due to which you get asthma attacks more often and resolve it by taking necessary steps to avoid the trigger.
- 4# Monitor Breathing- There can be signs which tell you that asthma attacks. Keep monitoring your breathing rate by the machine. This way you will be able to recognize the warning signs by looking at peak flow meter. Your doctor can help you check your breathing rate through the meter.
- 5# Take Prescribed Medications- There can be some remedies which might work for you but do not change or stop any type of medication without prescribing it to the doctor. Even if you find improvement in your asthma do not change medication or its dose. Consult the doctor if there is any change in your health issue.
- 6# Do Not Rely Too Much on Your Inhalers- If you are using your inhaler quite often then it is evident that your treatment or medication is not having much impact. Do not rely fully on inhalers; go to a doctor to check your treatment process.
Asthma is a severe disease which can be dangerous if precautions are not taken. The cause of asthma is narrowing down of passage through which the air passes. This cannot be cured through any particular treatment. However it can be controlled and regulated by monitoring your breathe rate through the meter and regular medications and consultation from the doctor.
Read More Articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.