Ways to treat acne during pregnancy.
A pregnant woman’s body undergoes unprecedented changes.. Women with sensitive skin can be more susceptible to acne during pregnancy due to hormonal imbalances. The estrogen level in the body rises in the first trimester. This is when the body undergoes maximum fluctuation. A woman must exercise caution and not take random medicines recommended by dermatologists. Many medicines can cause reaction or even lead to abortion. Here are a few ways to treat acne during pregnancy:
- Keep your face clean at all times. Get rid of excess oil on your face by splashing cold water and then apply rose water,
- Do not scrub an acne-ridden face too often. The skin might get abrasive and excessively dry, leading to more outbreaks.
- Do not touch the acne surface with naked hands. Bacteria can worsen the condition of acne. Also, avoid squeezing the acne out. This often leaves the pores open, letting the dirt settle down.
- Over-the-counter drugs can do considerable damage to the foetus. The best ways of treating acne during pregnancy are, to consume green leafy vegetables, berries, oranges and cooking food in olive oil. An internal cleansing of the body is a must to stop the acne from recurring.
- Do not use any ointment without the consent of your gynaecologist. If necessary, undergo an allergy test to know what all are you allergic to.
- Before retiting for the day, ensure that no traces of make-up remain on your skin. Use products which have non-acnegenic properties. These help in making the skin less prone to acne and are better that other beauty products. Otherwise, water-based makeup is the best.
- Do not consume medicines with traces of isotretinoin and tetracycline. These are pharmaceutical names and may be available under other brand names. These medicines lead to birth defects in the child, stillbirths or even prenatal miscarriage. Benzoyl peroxide, on the other hand, is considered safe for pregnant women.
- Wash your hair twice a week. Dirty or oily hair aggravates acne, especially on the forehead.
- Apply white toothpaste on the affected area and leave it on for the night. Toothpastes have the ability to dry up the acne from the surface leading to an immediate cure.
- Know your products. Pregnancy calls for a lot of care and responsibility even before the child arrives. Read the labels of the products carefully and consult a medical practitioner or your gynaecologist in case of allergic reactions.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 28, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.