Indian with a great population already suffers from many nutrient deficiency diseases; one of them is Vitamin D
The question of getting enough vitamin D has been lingering since the surge of pandemic. Sun, being the greatest source of Vitamin D, we all are now more deprived of it than ever. Vitamins being vital for immunity, some food sources can only fulfil the partial requirement as in case of Vitamin D. Including Maharashtra, a lot many states have been imposing intermittent lockdown to prevent people from going out. So, in case, we become deficient, what can this mean?
Given the situation, the focus is already on improving the immunity standards for which along with normal balanced diet, the supplementary nutrients that help the overall health of the individual are advised. When we can’t go out for the required sunshine vitamin, which is found in a very few foods, it is important to also see the deficiency does not occur and we include as much as of the same through the diet.
Dr Harish Naik, Consultant - Neurosurgery, Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi-A Fortis Network Hospital has shared the importance of Vitamin D, its supplementation requirement and sources for including in the diet to prevent deficiency.
WHY VITAMIN D?
Dr Harish Naik points out that the vitamin D level of our population during pandemic has fallen less than 20 which are very less than the normal range of 30 and even lesser than India’s average before pandemic of 20-30. And hence the requirement is more than ever.
- Deficiency diseases due to this vitamin such as osteomalacia, rickets where bones are affected in children and women can lead to serious medical conditions including bone collapse.
- Vitamin D has been found to be linked with cancers such as Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer, Prostate Cancer; Heart Diseases, Weight gain and even depression.
- Children who cannot go out for outdoor activities have become or are more prone to developing such diseases.
- In fact, women reaching the age of 30 and above are also equally susceptible to bone related disorders
EFFECT OF VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENTATION
As pointed, vitamin D levels are already less in most of our population, the effects it can cause and has been causing, especially in this pandemic situation just cannot be ignored. Let’s see how Vitamin D is relevant to our health-
1) Mental Health- Many studies point out supplementation of vitamin D shows improvement in the symptoms for people in depression and a few other mental disorders.
2) Brain Health- Certain activation and deactivation of Enzymes in the brain and cerebrospinal fluid activity that synthesizes neurotransmitter are regulated by Vitamin D
3) Bone Health- The primary role of Vitamin D is to promote bone health by absorbing Calcium, and Phosphorus. And hence supplementation of Vitamin D and Calcium optimally helps with bone matter loss. Considering the fact that Indian women are already prone to bone related diseases, they would need this more now.
Check Vitamin D deficiency for yourself
Look for these symptoms
- Aches and pains
- Always feeling tired
- Frequent Bone or muscle pain
- Difficulty in climbing stairs
- Frequent fracture prone in legs, pelvis, and hips
INCLUDE VITAMIN D IN YOUR DIET- START NOW
The natural sources include-
- Cord-liver oil
- Egg yolk
- For vegetarians, the main source are fortified foods, including-
- Milk (fortified)
- Breakfast cereal (fortified)
- Yogurt (fortified)
- Orange juice (fortified)
A regular monitoring of Vitamin D levels is helpful to check the decreasing/ increasing levels and hence the requirement of the same. Rely on as much food sources as you can for Vitamin D. Elderly and children are to be given more attention. Stay Healthy!
With inputs from Dr Harish Naik, Consultant - Neurosurgery, Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi-A Fortis Network Hospital
Read more articles on Healthy Diet
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.