Usher in the New Year with a healthy heart
As we get into the New Year, one resolution all of us should take is to take care of ourselves and our health to ensure a healthy heart. Many people have suffered from heart diseases till now and as figures say, many more are expected to fall prey to heart problems by the end of 2010. "Just by incorporating some lifestyle changes, you can bring in fitness and health. Staying fit is probably the best thing you can do to prevent a stroke," said Dr ND Sharma.Heart is a chambered muscular organ that pumps blood received from the veins into the arteries, thereby maintaining the flow of blood through the entire circulatory system.
A heart disease occurs when the heart starts crying for oxygen and when it becomes weak. You can suffer from a heart problem if you face choking and breathlessness, and then the problem grows into heaviness of chest and left extremities, causing angina.A major step towards taking care of your heart is to change your lifestyle and the way you take care of yourself. We tend to do a lot of things wrong as far as our health is concerned. Like having coffee five-six times, eating lots of junk food or fried food, smoking just because you cannot handle the stress. All these things, knowingly or unknowingly have become a part of our routine life.
"Too much of coffee has bad effect on the heart, too much of junk and fried food raises cholesterol level and cigarette smoking is a habit that greatly increases your chances of developing cardiovascular diseases. When all this exceeds its limit, the heart demands more oxygen and the supply is reduced which can lead to heart attack in the later stages," adds Dr Sharma. Dr Nishith Chandra, Senior Consultant, interventional cardiologist, Escorts Heart Institute says: Here are tips to improve your heart health
- Reduce weight. Your weight should not exceed the rational limits.
- Avoid fried food and junkies. Lower your sugar and salt intake.
- Avoid stress. No matter how much work stress you suffer from, don't let it affect your body and your system.
- Always keep your blood pressure under check.
- Check for insomnia.
- Watch out for your cholesterol level time to time.
- Increase your walking time and opt for stairs rather than choosing lift.
- Exercise regularly.
- Examine blood pressure regularly.
- Increase water intake.
- Consume limewater with a spoon of honey mixed in it.
- Avoid excessive tea. If you cannot, go for green tea instead.So wave goodbye to heart problems and keep your heart healthy.
There is a rule of four which everyone above 40 years must follow: Every person above 40 years has to exercise at least four times a week for 40 minutes and cover 4 kms.
- One must have plenty of green leafy vegetables and salads.
- One must always reduce saturated fat content.
- Smoking is a big no-no.
- Drinking can be in moderation.
- Remember, while exercising, you should avoid cold temperatures and foggy weather as it affects the arteries and so the system. Percentage of people suffering from heart diseases in urban areas: 1960 -- 2 %1970 -- 6.5 %1980 -- 7 %1990 -- 9.7 %2000 -- 10.5 %
Source: Jagran Cityplus Jan 20, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.