The breast is one of the important parts of a woman's body. The function of the breast is to generate milk from its tissue, which acts as sustenance for newborns. Tissues of the breast are connected to the nipple by microchannels. When small particles start accumulating in these channels or when lumps form in tissues then it could be a sign that cancer has started growing.
What does the National Breast Cancer Foundation Say?
According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are present in a woman's body. When these genes fail to function properly due to some reason, the chances of getting triple-negative breast cancer increase. Almost 55 to 65 percent of women suffer from triple-negative breast cancer due to mutation in BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.
Symptoms Of Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Contact a doctor immediately if the following symptoms appear, so that it can be treated on time.
- Hardening of the skin around the breast.
- Change in the color of the skin around the breast.
- Lumps around the underarms.
- Change in nipple color.
- Discharge of fluid from the nipple.
- Redness around the breast.
Causes of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
Triple-negative breast cancer can have many causes, mainly-
- The risk of triple-negative breast cancer is higher due to genetic (blood relation) factors.
- This cancer can also occur due to the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes not working properly.
- You can also get this due to many other diseases related to the breast.
- Late menopause.
- Too much body weight.
- Due to excessive exposure to radiation.
- Periods (menstruation) coming before age.
- Late pregnancy (getting pregnant after 30 years of age).
- Smoking and consuming alcohol.
- Taking hormone therapy after menopause.
Who Is At Risk of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer?
- Those already suffering from type-1 breast cancer
- Those who are 50 years or older
- Those avoiding breastfeeding for a long time
- Those who have excessively heavy breast.
Stages of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
The condition of patients suffering from triple-negative Breast cancer can be assessed on the basis of their stage. According to the American Cancer Society, there are different stages of triple-negative breast cancer.
Stage-1: Malignancies that are small, localised, and have not moved past a single neighbouring lymph node
Stage-2: Moderate localised tumours in the underarm region that have not progressed beyond the lymph nodes.
Stage-3: Cancers that are regionally advanced and have migrated outside of the breast but other organs are not metastasized yet.
Stage-4: Malignant tumours spread to distant organs.
How is the test for triple-negative breast cancer done?
- Self-examination of your breast.
- Biopsy test
Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Treatment
2. Radiation Therapy
How to take care of triple-negative breast cancer patients?
- Get your test done if you have a family history of cancer. Keep contacting the doctor from time to time, so that the doctor can give you the necessary advice.
- Control your growing obesity. Never consume substances that can increase your weight.
- Only take birth control pills as prescribed by the doctor.
- Use condoms instead of birth control pills to avoid pregnancy.
- Avoid alcohol consumption. Those who consume alcohol are more at risk of getting cancer.
- Avoid eating junk food.
- Eat a healthy diet. Make changes in your diet as per the advice of a doctor.
Drink more and more water.
Contact the doctor immediately if you see any kind of lump in the body.
Triple-negative breast cancer can be due to many reasons. Contact the doctor immediately if you notice any change around the breast. So that you can identify the disease in time.