Treatment for Vomiting during Pregnancy
Vomiting is an unavoidable condition for pregnant women. Most women consider it to be a signal for smooth progress of pregnancy. In mild form vomiting can be inconvenient and irritating experience. However, when severe it can be dangerous for both the mother and the baby. Different techniques work for different women, no single treatment of vomiting work best for every pregnant woman. Below mentioned are some treatment method that can bring relieve to problem of vomiting during pregnancy:
- Peppermint can be use to soothe upset stomach.
- You can use ginger to bring relief to queasy pregnant tummy. Powdered ginger is widely used across the Europe for dealing with pregnancy vomiting. A usual dose of 250 mg is taken three times a day.
- Take apple cider vinegar or lemon mixed with water before every meal.
- Green tea, fresh ginger tea, red raspberry and slippery elm are useful herbs to deal with nausea during pregnancy.
- Carbonated drinks can contribute to the feeling of nausea so stick to clear liquid.
- Alcohol and caffeinated drinks adds to the problem. So completely avoid them.
- Another effective home remedy for vomiting is wheat germ mixed with a glass of milk. It helps to soothe stomach.
- Avoid eating fried and spicy foods.
- Don’t eat foods with odour that bothers you.
- Try eating foods with simple carbohydrates such as fruit juices, plain baked potatoes, white rice, unbuttered toast and yoghurt.
- Before going to bed have one of the above mentioned simple carbohydrates with protein serving. This will help to control swings in blood sugar, the possible cause of nausea and vomiting.
Stimulation of the P6 (Nei Guan) pressure point on wrist is effective treatment for nausea and vomiting. You can yourself press this area with your finger or thumb. But make sure to learn right technique from your doctor. Besides, you can buy an acupuncture band that are largely used for treatment of morning sickness.
Over the counter solutions provide relieve in vomiting during pregnancy. Solutions that contain glucose, fructose and phosphoric acid are useful in treatment of vomiting. These solutions reduce muscles contraction in wall of stomach and intestine.
Antihistamines such as diphenhydramine and dimenhydrinate are available over-the-counter. Even though they are generally safe for pregnant women but it is still wise to consult your physician before opting for any of them.
Read more articles on During Pregnancy
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 07, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.