Doctors have seen a significant increase in the cases of children suffering from dry eye and eye strain from watching from screens.
Today, children are exposed to too much technology which can take a toll on their health. Spending excessive time in front of the screen can potentially harm the visual development of children. Doctors have seen a significant increase in the cases of children suffering from dry eye and eye strain from watching from screens. Parents need to be aware of the facts, choices and risks involved with children's health.
It has been reported that up to 90 percent of teenagers and adults in Asia suffer from the disease, known as nearsightedness and myopia. Some reports have speculated that work activities and traditional books also contribute to vision problems.
Read Also:- Common eye problems in toddlers
It is unclear if the problem of nearsightedness occurs due to light interacting with our circadian rhythms to influence eye growth, or by looking at the phones for an extended period or none of the above.
However, digital eyestrain is a problem faced by most computer users, and the cases of kids are no different. The symptoms include blurry vision, dry eyes, eye strain, and headaches. These symptoms might not stay long, but they can be frequent as well as persistent. The study was published in the journal Ophthalmology.
Here are some tips to reduce eye strain from computers:
- Try and take a short break or look at a far-away object for a minute or two before you resume working
- Make your eyes frequently blink while you work looking at your computer screen. This will help you work the extrinsic eye muscles throughout the day
- Make sure that your monitor is about 15 to 20 degrees lower than the line of sight. You should also know that there should be a distance of at least 20 minutes between your eyes and the monitor
- We tend to blink less while we work on a computer. As a result, our eyes may feel dry. Get away from the computer at least every hour and blink eyes as many times to re-wet them and prevent eyestrain
- Massage your eyes gently by creating heat in your hands by rubbing your palms and placing them on your eyes. Repeat this for a few minutes and rest with your eyes closed for another few minutes
- Make sure you have sunglasses that keep damaging sun rays away from your eyes
- Wear glasses designed specifically for computer screens
- Get a regular eye checkup done from a qualified optometrist. In case, you already wear spectacles or contact lenses; then you must visit the doctor.
Read more articles on Understand Eye Disorders
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth app
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.