Tips to Prevent Bone Cancer
Bone cancer can be primary or secondary in nature. If the cancer originates in the bone, it is called primary bone cancer, and if the it spreads from other parts of the body to the bone it is called secondary bone cancer. Some examples of primary bone cancer are malignant fibrous histiocytoma, osteosarcoma and sarcoma. Sufferers of symptoms - such as the development of lumps on body parts, unintentional weight loss, fever, night sweats and chills - should immediately meet a physician for diagnosis. If the condition is diagnosed at an early stage, it can be treated successfully.
One of the tips to prevent bone cancer is to be aware of the risk factors. A Harvard University report published in Cancer Causes and Control in 2006 stated that men who drink fluorinated water were at a higher risk of developing osteosarcoma. The report also concluded that high amounts of fluorine in water did not affect girls and the problem of bone cancer was common in people below the age of 20 years.
Certain Conditions which Raise the Risk of Bone Cancer
- Radiation therapy is known to raise the risk of bone cancer.
- Paget’s disease.
- Genetic condition, such as Li-Fraumeni syndrome
- Children born with umbilical hernia.
- Rothmund-Thompson syndrome is a rare condition found in kids. It causes stunted growth and considerably raises the risk of osteosarcoma.
Some Useful Tips to Prevent Bone cancer
- People should be aware of their genes and should try to find out if a relative or anyone in their bloodline have been diagnosed with the problem in the past.
- Stay away from negative lifestyle habits which can raise the risk such as smoking or stress. Tobacco intake in any form increases the chances of developing cancer manifold.
- Diet and nutrition play a pivotal role in preventing bone cancer. Keep a check on your caloric intake and stick to a low-fat diet. Several studies have concluded that people who include fruit and vegetables in their daily diet are at a lower risk of developing any form of cancer. Reduce from intake of saturated fat and red meat if it is very high.
- Physical exercise and yoga are effective in curing certain medical disorders. They improve blood circulation and limit the growth of cancer.
- It is crucial for cancer to be diagnosed before metastasis. Consult experts for screening and detection of the condition before it spreads.
Some herbal tips can also be followed to prevent bone cancer. Incorporate the use of turmeric and ginseng in preparing food. Turmeric has a therapeutic compound called curcumin which possesses the properties to fight cancer and also improves the immune system of the body. Ginseng is the herb which hinders the formation of cancer cells, while certain green tea extracts are also effective in hindering the growth of cancer tissue.
Read more articles on Understand Bone Cancer
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 13, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.