Can having chocolates control some forms of cancer? The antioxidant substances found in cocoa seem to suggest that, as these protect our skin from oxidative damage. The free radicals in your body are responsible for transforming your DNA, which alters your cells are a product of oxidation process. Flavonoids, a kind of antioxidants found in cocoa, can get rid of the free radicals effectively. But there are things you need to know about chocolate and cancer before rushing to your chocolate box.
- Only dark chocolates are healthy – As the phytochemicals in the chocolates come only from cocoa, which are called antioxidants, a plant source, there is no use of having white or milk chocolates as they not contain cocoa at all. Although it sounds too good to be true, you need to know about the other facts about chocolate to ensure that you do not end up making it unhealthy for yourself.
- Need to have other nutritious foods too – If you do not manage your calories, there is no gain in having chocolates or any other food for that matter. And if you have chocolates without paying any attention to the number of calories you have consumed, it will only lead to cancer. Although chocolate in itself does not lead to cancer, being overweight can lead to breast cancer. A standard chocolate bar has around 210 calories and its fat content is 13 grams. You need to balance this with perhaps fruits and vegetables which will fine tune your metabolism.
- Chocolates are a sweetheart! – They are sweet for your heart because some of their antioxidants such as the plant phenols, catechins and procyanidins are known to be good for the heart. These compounds improve the level of good cholesterol HDL and dissolves blood clots which pose the greatest risk of heart attacks, strokes and can lead to lowered blood pressure. A happy heart brings down your chances of cancer of any form.
- Evaluating the quality of chocolate – Five ounces of red wine has the same number of antioxidants as a one-and-half ounce of chocolate. But if you want to make sure that your dark chocolate is of good quality, you need to snap it. It is said that the louder it snaps, the better its quality.
- Chocolate is not the best anti-cancer food – You should always bear in mind that fruits and vegetables such as spinach, oranges, blackberries and others are much richer in antioxidants than chocolates. These foods have more antioxidants and lesser calories. So, don’t be so gung-ho about having chocolates for preventing cancer!
Chocolate can be a good way to prevent cancer but not at the cost of healthier foods.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.