First aid is an imperative skill & performing plain procedures & following guidelines can assist in saving lives. Some steps to follow in this situation.
First aid is an imperative skill and performing plain procedures and following guidelines can assist in saving lives until professional help arrives.
Practice makes a man perfect, so remember to regularly practice and have frequent visits to your local first aid courses as reading instructions during emergency might not be the thing you would want to do or even have the time for.
When someone cannot breathe
If someone stops breathing, try to keep him conscious. Make note of whether he is able to respond to questions that may be asked. If the person does not respond, call for help immediately and begin first aid. If you are alone, try performing basic life support skills for a minute before fetching for help.
Steps to follow in this situation
• Make sure the person is lying on his or her back on the ground.
• Ensure to tilt the head in a way that the chin points upwards by placing finger tips under the jawbone and then elevating gently while pressing down softly on the individual’s forehead. This procedure is conducted to ensure that the tongue does not block the throat.
• Be sure to hold the head this way while you check if the person is breathing. See if the chest is moving or not or try placing your ear next to their mouth to listen to their breath or feel it on your cheek. Do not try this procedure for more than 10 seconds.
• If you feel that the person is breathing, hold his head in that very same position until help arrives.
When someone is bleeding
In this scenario, it is essential to discontinue blood flow as fast as possible.
• Small cuts- the blood, in small cuts, generally clots within a few minutes. So, wash this area thoroughly and plaster it gently from the top.
• Deep cuts-In deep cuts, the veins produce dark blood. You can stop excessive bleeding via deep cuts by applying gentle pressure on the wound with a sterilized cloth and then covering it with a sterilized bandage.
This is something that should and always be treated by a doctor because this kind of bleeding can cause death too. So, you must seek immediate intervention by a specialized doctor.
• Apply strong pressure on the wound and keep up with it until the patient gets his treatment.
• Try putting a bandage over the wounded area and if the blood soaks through the bandage, keep the pressure hard until the bleeding stops.
• Try not to clean the wound on your own.
When someone bleeds from the nose
Nose bleeding happens when small blood vessels of the nose burst open. The blood may also run into the stomach and cause vomiting.
• Don’t bend the head backwards or make the person lie down as this might increase blood pressure in the head and also increase bleeding.
• Try pinching the nostril with the index and middle finger for about 10 minutes so that the vein gets compressed, which is enough to stem the flow.
• Ask the person to shut nostrils and breathe through the mouth.
Make sure you are well versed with these aids so that you can assist as and when required and probably help save a life too.
Image source: Getty
Read more articles on Medical Safety Tips.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.