If you are suffering from sensitive teeth or dentine hypersensitivity – the chances are you haven’t been caring for them properly. Read useful tips to avoid sensitivity.
If you are suffering from sensitive teeth or dentine hypersensitivity, the chances are you haven’t been caring for them properly, you have neglected them to an extent where they hurt when you eat or drink something cold or hot and cause you a lot of discomfort. However, there are means of tackling this unfortunate problem. Sensitive teeth can be easily treated with a change in your oral hygiene regimen. We will look at ways of taking care of sensitive teeth.
Sensitive teeth is a physical feeling when the nerves inside the dentin of the teeth are exposed to different elements, this feeling can range from a slight discomfort to a sharp-shooting pain. The causes for sensitive teeth can vary and they range from general pain to decaying teeth due to neglect. Sensitive teeth are the result of worn tooth enamel or exposed tooth roots.
Also read: What is Tooth Sensitivity
Tips to take care of your sensitive teeth
- The first thing you should do is discuss the issue with your dentist. Explain your pain, your symptoms, and he should be able to seal the sensitive area with a bonding agent or a fluoride gel, which can be rubbed into the sensitive teeth and gums after your daily brushings. Over time, this will cure the pain which is observed from sensitive teeth.
- Use a tooth-brush with ultra-soft bristles, these can be found in any pharmacy or dental shop. Avoid brushing your teeth in a horizontal method as this exposes the roots more so than with the vertical method.
- Your dentist should be able to prescribe you with the most effective toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Some tooth-pastes are specifically produced and customized to deal with the problems of sensitive teeth.
- Avoid the things which cause the pain until as such time as the problem has abated and resolved itself. If foods such as ice-creams or cold drinks wakes you wince with pain, then avoid them as best you can. Every time you indulge in sweet or sour foods such as candy, acidic foods such as wine and grapefruit juice, chew some sugar-free gum or brush your teeth to help the treatment progress.
- You can rinse your mouth with salt water. Add half table spoon of salt to a glass of warm water. Mix well and use this to rinse your mouth twice a day.
- You should also avoid acidic foods and drinks such as carbonated drinks, citrus fruits and wine, all of which can remove small amounts of tooth enamel over time. After eating or drinking an acidic substance, drink water to balance the acid levels in your mouth.
To take care of your sensitive teeth, keep these points in mind. To prevent sensitive teeth from recurring, brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and floss daily. Use gentle strokes rather than harsh scrubbing and use toothpaste advised by your dentist. If you grind your teeth, ask your dentist about a mouth guard. Tooth grinding can fracture teeth and cause sensitivity.
Also read: What are the symptoms of Tooth Sensitivity
How to prevent sensitivity
There are some things you can do to prevent your teeth from further damage. Prevention methods include:
- Maintaining good oral hygiene to keep your teeth and mouth clean
- Using a softer brush
- Limiting the amount of acidic foods and beverages
- Scheduling regular dental visits
- Using a mouthguard at night if you grind your teeth
Read more articles on Dental Health.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.