Obsessive-compulsive disorder has symptoms of both obsessions and compulsions. Some symptoms of OCD include fear of getting infected by shaking hands, washing hands repeatedly to clean it until the skin becomes sore, repeated doubts as to whether
Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a mental health disorder, which has symptoms of both obsessions and compulsions.
Symptoms of obsession in OCD
Obsessions in OCD are recurrent, unrelenting and unwanted ideas, thoughts, images or impulses that occur spontaneously or involuntarily and make no sense. These unwanted ideas, thoughts, images or impulses interfere when you're trying to think of or do other things.
Obsessions are often related to a specific topic or theme, such as:
- fear of getting infected or becoming dirty
- putting things in a orderly and symmetrical manner
- hostile or horrific impulses
- sexual images or thoughts
Obsession symptoms and signs may include:
- fear of getting infected by shaking hands, touching or using objects that some other person has touched
- repeated doubts regarding whether you've locked the door, switched off the heater or turned off the stove
- undue stress and anxiety when objects aren't kept in a orderly way
- disturbing images of hurting your child, shouting obscenities in wrong places
- avoidance of situations that cause obsessions, such as shaking hands, using things touched by others
- skin problems, such as dermatitis because of frequent hand washing or picking at your skin
- hair loss or bald patches because of hair pulling
Symptoms of compulsion in OCD
OCD compulsions are repetitive behaviours that you cannot control and are driven to perform. These repetitive behaviours help to prevent or reduce anxiety because of your obsessions. For instance, if you shake hands with someone or use an object touched by others, you wash your hands again and again to clean them. Many people make rules or rituals to be followed to control the anxiety or stress because of their obsessive thoughts.
Compulsions, such as obsessions are often related to a specific topic or theme, such as:
- being tidy and cleaning
- demanding reassurances
- performing the same action repeatedly
- organising and being neat
Signs and symptoms of compulsion include:
- washing hand until your skin starts to hurt or becomes sore
- checking doors again and again to confirm they're locked or checking the heater repeatedly to make sure it's off
- arranging objects in the cabinet, such as soaps, canned goods so that all of them face the same way
In most people, the symptoms of OCD begin gradually and may increase or decrease in severity. Symptoms are noted to increase in times of stress and anxiety.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.