Symptoms of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever
Dengue can be cured when detected at early stages. Here we tell you symptoms so that you identify the fatal diseases as early as possible.
- Loss of appetite is one of the symptoms.
- Abrupt onset of fever takes place.
- Muscles and joints ache.
- In some cases bleeding from nose can also occur.
Dengue fever is usually a mild and self-limiting illness in most people but in some people it can progress to dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) or dengue shock syndrome. DHF is a complication of dengue fever which can be fatal. It usually occurs if a person has dengue infection more than once.
Causes of Dengue Infection
Dengue infection can be caused by any of the four related types of Dengue virus (DENV-1 to 4). One type of dengue virus can infect a person only once in his lifetime as it gives lifelong protective immunity against that particular type of infecting virus (homotypic immunity). A second infection is usually with a different type of dengue virus (if you were infected with DENV-1 the first time the second infection can be with DENV-2, DENV-3, or DENV- 4). The secondary infection with any type of dengue virus (e.g. DEN-2 followed by DEN-3) can cause severe and even fatal dengue infection such as dengue hemorrhagic fever or dengue shock syndrome. Read to know the symptoms of dengue hemorrhagic fever.
Symptoms of Dengue
In early stages the symptoms of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) are similar to dengue fever. Early symptoms are:
- Loss of appetite.
- Fever (abrupt onset of high fever which may be up to 105ºF).
- Joint and muscle aches.
- Nausea and vomiting.
Acute phase symptoms of DHF include:
- Restlessness followed by:
- Ecchymosis or petechiae (due to bleeding in skin): Bleeding in the skin can be as tiny spots of blood (petechiae) or as larger patches of blood under the skin (ecchymoses).
- Bleeding from the nose, gums, mouth.
- Generalised rash.
- Worsening of earlier symptoms.
- Cold and clammy extremities.
- Pale, cold or clammy skin.
- Sweatiness (diaphoretic).
- Shock (very low blood pressure).
People with DHF need prompt and appropriate treatment. If you have symptoms suggestive of dengue fever due to DHF, consult your doctor.
Image source: Getty Images
Read more on Dengue Signs and Symptoms.
Source: Expert Content May 14, 2015
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.