Do not keep sitting after work, try these yoga poses to undo the side effects of sitting for long hours
Desk job restricts us to a long routine of sitting and reduces our physical activity. Even though, we take breaks in between to relax or refresh our mind, we often forget the stress our physical body goes through. Our back, neck and spine are a lot affected and take a toll on overall health and posture. We often feel back pain, increased weight, spondylosis, varicose veins due to the lifestyle we maintain. Being at home, one has access to the space needed, to be close to more positivity being closer to our family, and taking out time for breaks is easier for office is not a metro or traffic-filled car ride away.
Let your body stretch to allow rejuvenation of muscles and organs, and keep up the blood circulation. Yoga, being a simple and effective way to take care of your exercise routine and stress levels, selective and helpful yogasanas, suggested by Grand Master Akshar, Yoga Expert has been provided. Inculcating them daily in your schedule is a great way to get an effective break in between work.
Bridge Pose is performed for its main benefit of strengthening the back muscles, hence relieving from the tired day. Helps with thyroid problems and improves digestion, along with refreshing lung activity.
- Lie on the back
- Fold your knees and keep your feet and hip at a distance of at least 10 inches
- Note that the knees and ankles are in a straight line
- Slowly, inhale and lift your back as high till you don’t feel any pain.
- Hold the position for a few counts
- Slowly come back to the floor
- Repeat a few more times
A very simple and effortless asana to give your body a break from sitting. It is very useful for improving balance and improves posture. It relieves nerve pain in legs or sciatica and strengthens lower body. Tadasana is a starting pose for many other yogasanas, yet it is a great way to relax.
- In a standing position, start by keeping your hands on either sides of your body
- Now, start lifting your hands gently above the head
- Lock your fingers above and inhale along with lifting your hands and heels
- Stretch as much as possible and hold
- Try to hold the position for a few seconds
- Finally, exhale and withdraw
- Count five and repeat step 1
Giving ourselves a break should not only include taking time off from work but also giving our body the required attention and activity through food and exercise.
Also referred to as downward facing dog, this pose rejuvenates the body by increasing blood circulation to the brain. It is also known to tone arms and legs and stabilizes spine.
Check Step-by-Step Adhomukha shwanasana
- Start by lying on your stomach with your arms placed beside the chest
- Keeping your heels on the floor, lift the centre of your body to form a mountain
- Stretch as high as you can, yet ensuring your forehead and heels touch on the floor
- Come back by getting down to your knees.
- Repeat a few more time
This is called as a cat’s pose. This is a beautiful form to bring flexibility in your spine, which gives you a nice break from work. This pose affects the abdomen by massaging it and hence improving digestion. Shoulders and wrists also gets stretched and strengthened.
- Place your fours (legs and hands) on the floor such that your back is parallel to the floor
- Ensure the knees and hips form a straight line
- Inhale to stretch the back inwards. Now look up and hold for a few seconds(count 5)
- Now exhale along with your back in an arch like your belly carves into the spine
- Repeat a few more times
Also known as warrior pose, it is the form that strengthens many parts including shoulders, arms, legs, ankles, and back. It improves circulation, respiration as well as energizes the whole body. It has great effects on stiff shoulders and helps release stress from them.
- Stand straight and keep your feet at least 3-4 feet distant
- Now put your hands on your waist and inhale
- Exhale and slowly bend left knee to get your leg parallel to the floor
- Now slowly ensure the heel of the other leg is touching the floor
- Inhale one more time and repeat for the
- Inhale and repeat the same for right side
Bad posture and backache are persistent complain of desk job employees. The asanas mentioned are simple and not too much time consuming. Effective 5 minutes spent on each will maintain your physical health and keep you energized, also preventing many pains and weariness in muscles and organs. Go Yoga!!!
Read more articles on Yoga
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.