- 1 cup rice
- 1/3 cup split green moong
- 1 medium onionsliced
- Handful of frozen green peas
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables diced evenly (carrot, beans, cauliflower, potato)
- 2 tsp ghee
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
Directions to prepare Vegetable Khichdi:
- Place the dal and rice in a big bowl and wash well. Drain and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, take a tsp of ghee. Add the asafoetida and cumin seeds. Once seeds splutter, add in the sliced onions, peas and diced vegetables. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and lentils, saute for a few seconds. Put in the required amount of salt, turmeric powder, and 3 cups of water. Pressure cook for 3-4 minutes on sim after 3 whistles and remove from flame.
- Open the cooker after 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tsp ghee and serve it hot with a bowl of yoghurt and roasted papads.
Inputs received from Men’s Health.