Reasons for Irregular Periods after Marriage
One of the most common reasons for irregular periods after marriage is the emotional and hormonal change that a woman undergoes after marriage. Irregular periods are not a major cause for worry as several treatment options are available. Fluctuation in periods might be an indication of disturbance in the usual chain of hormonal events that control menstruation.
[Read: Causes of Irregular Periods]
Reasons for irregular periods after marriage
• Hormonal changes are common after marriage and can lead to cysts in the ovaries, changes in the menstrual cycle and trouble in getting pregnant.
• Generally, a woman becomes sexually active after marriage and starts taking birth control measures such as pills. These pills alter the oestrogen levels in the body. The body needs time to adjust to these increased hormonal levels. Therefore, there is a change in the time, amount and regularity of the periods.
• Post marriage, a woman may go through either weight gain or loss. Since a hormonal imbalance occurs, the body takes a while to adjust to the changes and that leads to irregular periods.
• Often due to emotional stress, the reproductive health is compromised which has a direct effect on the menstrual cycle. A woman goes through a lot of changes after marriage. Anxiety, excess worry or fatigue may cause a disrupted menstrual cycle. They not only lead to irregular periods but also weight gain.
• Various eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia can also have an effect on the regular cycle. Eating healthy is very important as poor nutrition also upsets the hormonal balance in the body.
• Over consumption of alcohol and smoking cigarettes are other reasons for irregular periods. Smoking shortens the follicular and luteal phase, leading to changes in the menstrual cycle.
• Chemotherapy, recent childbirth, and uterine abnormalities such as fibroids, cysts, endometriosis or miscarriage can also effect the menstrual cycle. A onetime irregular period is not a matter of concern but long time irregularity should definitely be investigated.
In case of irregular periods, your gynaecologist will make a physical examination and ask for your medical records. Ultrasound, blood-test and a biopsy can help determine the cause which can then be treated. Irregular periods after marriage, though a cause for concern should not become a cause for panic. Hormonal treatments and regular optimum levels of exercise can take care of this condition effectively.
Read more articles onWomen's Health.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jul 19, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.