Understand pneumonia - Pneumonia can turn into a life threatening disease if not treated. Therefore, if you see any symptoms suggestive of pneumonia, immediately seek medical advice.
Reasons to see a Doctor if you suspect Pneumonia
- Pneumonia can be a serious and life threatening disease. Consult your doctor if you have symptoms suggestive of pneumonia (persistent cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, and fever).
- If your symptoms worsen after a cold or the flu, contact your doctor.
- The risk of complications due to pneumonia is higher in the elderly (more than 65 years of age), smokers, people who drink excessively, and individuals with weak immune system (due to cancer, chemotherapy, medications, HIV/AIDS). Be prompt in seeking medical care if you are at a higher risk of complications or severe pneumonia.
- In people with chronic heart failure or lung ailments, pneumonia can be a life threatening condition. Consult your doctor immediately if you have any chronic illness.
Medical Advice in case of Pneumonia in your Child
- If your child has signs and symptoms suggestive of pneumonia (persistent cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, and fever).
- If the breathing is abnormally fast or laboured.
- If the nail or lips appear bluish or gray in colour.
- If the fever is higher than 102 degrees Fahrenheit (38.9 degrees Celsius) in an older child or above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) in infants under 6 months of age.
Read more articles on Understand Pneumonia
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.