So you are pregnant! Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, get ready to be bombarded with advice, a list of do’s and don’ts, what eat, what to wear and how to exercise. It can be exhausting! With the hormones surging in your body, exercise may be the last thing on your mind but there is a good reason to listen to this piece of advice- because it comes at the back of a new study.
According to a researchers at East Carolina University, physical activity during pregnancy doesn’t just benefit the soon to be mom but also boosts motor skills of babies.
About the study
A research conducted at East Carolina University revealed that new born children whose mothers engaged in daily exercise learn to coordinate easily with new responsive abilities like vision, touch, and hearing and develop motor skills like grasping, rolling over, sitting up and crawling.
The research further reveals that exercise during pregnancy can help in improved heart health in infants.
The research was conducted on 71 pregnant women and their new born babies, comparing outcomes. Some were assigned to exercise for 50 minutes 4 times a week, rest of them were not exercising during pregnancy.
The researchers found that babies born to women who engaged in physical workout were more adept at movement and more active as they grow older. It also is observed that physical activity of the mother during pregnancy can reduce childhood risk of obesity.
Other benefits of exercise during pregnancy
The benefits of moderate exercise during pregnancy are hailed by doctors and experts. An active would be mom would find it easier to adapt to her changing weight and shape. Post-delivery weight loss will also be easier for those moms who exercised during pregnancy. Apart from this, exercising during pregnancy is of great relevance due to the following reasons :
Also Read: How to Soothe Heartburn in Pregnancy
- It reduces backaches, constipation, bloating and swelling.
- It helps in preventing gestational diabetes.
- It increases energy level of mother and the child.
- It helps in boosting mood and reduces mood swings which is common in pregnancy.
- It improves the posture of both the mother and the child.
- Exercise during pregnancy promotes tones muscles and endurance.
- It also helps in sleeping better.
- It reduces the labour duration.
Best workout for pregnancy
Moderate exercise during pregnancy can give healthier start to a child. Although pregnant women are not suggested cardio and heavy workout regime, but these easy and effective exercises can surely help during pregnancy. Remember to consult your doctor before starting any form of rigorous exercise that you are not used to.
- Brisk walk: Brisk walk provides a cardiovascular workout and does not affect knees and ankles. Walk on smooth surface and wear comfortable shoes to avoid any injuries.
- Stationary cycling: Cycling on a stationary bike is safe and helps in raising heart rate without giving stress to the joints. It helps in supporting body weight.
- Low-impact aerobics: This includes jumping, high kicks, leaps, etc keeping one foot on the ground. The low impact aerobics limits stress on the joints and helps in maintaining body balance. It reduces the risk of pelvic floor muscles weakness which results in urine discharge.
- Yoga: Yoga helps in maintaining overall health. Yoga not only helps in improving physical health but also mental health. Meditation and other low intensity yoga can work well for pregnant ladies. You can go for mountain pose ( tadasana) , warrior pose ( virbhadrasana), triangle pose ( trilokasana), cat pose, etc.
Along with these you can perform pelvic tilts, squats , swimming, etc but only with the prior recommendation of your doctor or trainer.
Written by Stuti Mishra
Read more on Women's Health