Perimenopause: When to Seek Medical Help?

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Feb 18, 2012

Symptoms during the perimenopause or menopause period can be significant in many women. If your symptoms are bothersome, you should consult a doctor. Read on to know when to seek medical help in the perimenopausal phase.


  • In the years before menopause (perimenopause), doctors recommended that you should get a yearly complete physical examination. During this exam, your doctor may do a breast exam, pelvic exam, mammogram and tests for other medical conditions that may occur with aging such as osteoporosis or heart disease.
  • If the physical and emotional symptoms during perimenopause or menopause such as hot flushes, night sweats, sleep disturbance, urinary problem, and mood swings don’t respond to home treatment and are interfering with your sleep or daily life, consult your doctor. There are many effective treatments for the symptoms of menopause.
  • If your periods have become irregular or heavy, consult a doctor to ensure that some other medical problem such as, polyps or uterine fibroids is not the cause. During perimenopause there is a risk of pregnancy—in case you miss period and are not sure about pregnancy, consult your doctor to rule out pregnancy.
  • If you have bothersome urinary problems such as recurrent or frequent urinary tract infections, stress incontinence (tendency to leak urine upon coughing or laughing), and a pressing need for frequent urination, consult your doctor. During the menopause or perimenopause phase many women develop bladder problems which they suffer in silence. However, most of these problems can be effectively managed with simple exercises (Kegel exercises, commonly taught while you are preparing for childbirth), reducing the intake of caffeinated beverages (as these irritate the bladder) and certain types of surgeries. Consulting your doctor for bladder problems will not only treat the problem but also greatly improve the quality of your life.
  • In the perimenopause period consult a doctor to know about your risk of developing osteoporosis and its prevention. Decrease in the level of oestrogen, gradually weakens the bones and the risk of collapse or fracture increases considerably.


Who to Consult?


Health professionals who can help you manage the symptoms and problems of perimenopause and evaluate your menstrual period changes include:

  • Your family physician.
  • Gynaecologist.
  • Nurse practitioner.
  • Physician assistant.


Read more articles on Perimenopause


Is it Helpful Article?YES1 Vote 11145 Views 0 Comment
I have read the Privacy Policy and the Terms and Conditions. I provide my consent for my data to be processed for the purposes as described and receive communications for service related information.
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK