Yoga is widely known and accepted for its ability to heal and relax your body. With the ever increasing stress in our daily lives, a few minutes to practice this yoga pose can help you relax and de-stress.
Fast paced lifestyle, work and family responsibilities and the pressure to stay ahead in the game all contribute to a great deal of mental and physical stress. Raised level of stress, in turn, wreaks havoc on your body and can be a cause of many ailments.
Using yoga as a tool for de-stressing is a great option as you do not need much time, space or money to perform the simple yoga postures. Naukasana is one of the postures which help relieve stress.
The name Naukasana comes from the Sanskrit word “nauka” meaning boat and “asana” meaning pose. Naukasana is a great stress reliever and also good for improving balance. Although a bit on the tougher side of the yoga postures, it is achievable with some practice. It is best to practice Naukasana early in the morning, empty stomach.
Step by step instruction for Naukasana
- Lie on your back, with your arms on the sides, palms touching the floor and feet joined together.
- Take a deep breath and slowly lift your chest and feet off the ground while exhaling.
- The ideal posture is when your eyes and toes are in a line, however, it is quite hard to achieve on the first time. A little practice every day will help you get closer to the perfect posture.
- Try to bring your eyes and feet in one line as far as you can do comfortably.
- Feel the stretch in your navel as your abdominal muscles will contract to keep the balance.
- Breathe deeply and slowly as you hold the pose.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and then slowly come back to the original posture while exhaling.
- You can practice this posture up to 4 repetitions per day.
Avoid practising Naukasana if you have any of the following conditions -
- Low blood pressure
- Spinal injury or disorders or any history of back injury
- Asthma or trouble breathing
- Heart disease
Image Source: Getty
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.