A healthy tongue is pink and covered with papillae, small nodules that are on the surface of the tongue and have a rough texture. Sometimes, when tongue appears white, that means food debris, bacteria and dead cells have been lodged between inf
A healthy tongue is pink and covered with papillae, small nodules that are on the surface of the tongue and have a rough texture. Sometimes, when tongue appears white, that means food debris, bacteria and dead cells have been lodged between inflamed papillae. Tongue coating is connected with the organs, meridians, qi, blood, and body fluid. Changes of tongue coating can't be separated from the internal environment of the body. The tongue coating is also an important casement to the reaction of physiological and pathological changes.
Tongue coating is one of the direct objective foundations for clinical diagnosis and treatment of many critical diseases, so it is of great importance for syndrome differentiation, determining the treating principle, prescribing a formula, and predicting the prognosis. White tongue is usually harmless and only temporary, but it can also be an indication of an infection or some serious conditions.
The main reasons for white tongue disease are:
- Candida yeast infection (Oral Thrush)
- smoking or tobacco use
- alcohol use
- congenital heart disease in adults
- spicy food, such as habanero and jalapeno peppers
- Illness or infection
If you suffer from white tongue, there are a few home remedies and lifestyle changes which may provide some relief from the problem.
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt: Some find some relief from mixing salt with water to create a homemade mouthwash. Use it first as a mouthwash, then brush your teeth with salt, including your tongue. This is a favorite home cure for the problem that has been effective with some people with the condition.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is a soft natural substance which helps some people with white tongue. It can sooth the tongue and may also whiten the teeth.
- Probiotic like Acidophilus: This substance works as a coating for the tongue. It also promotes healthy digestion.
- Coconut Oil Pulling: It is one of the best ways to remove bacteria from the mouth. This oral detoxification is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine. Ayurveda advises oil pulling to purify the entire system, as it holds that each section of the tongue is connected to different organs of the body. The oil sucks the debris and toxins out of your mouth and creates a clean, antiseptic oral environment.
Image Source: Shutterstcok
Read More articles on Oral Health Conditions
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.