A good way to begin this topic is to quote Dr. Arthur Glosman, a cosmetic dentist in Beverly Hills, who says, “If something is healthy, it’s going to look good. If it is sick, no amount of white teeth is going to make it look good.”
Chemical treatments like teeth bleaching are effective in getting white, sparkling teeth, but they have the side effect of tooth sensitivity and pain. Those who wish to steer clear of this route, there are some techniques that can make teeth look beautiful and a smile bewitching, naturally.
We will examine eight natural methods of getting whiter teeth.
- Crunchy fruits and vegetablescrisp and crunchy fruits like apples, celery, carrots have sufficient abrasiveness to act as natural toothbrushes and help in whitening teeth by lifting the stains from the tooth surface without harming the enamel. The effect is enhanced if the items are crispier.
- Flossingis the use of thin filaments of nylon or ribbons of polyethylene that are gently inserted between the teeth to remove food particles and plaque by scraping along the sides especially close to the gums. These remove a lot of the stains and make the teeth look whiter. Red puffy gums are unsightly and dentists recommend further brushing at least twice daily on top of flossing.
- Eating cheese is a delightful way of teeth whitening. A growing body of evidence points to the fact that having a bit of cheese after meals can help to prevent tooth decay and help remineralisation of tooth enamel. Cheese and milk products like milk itself and yogurt contain calcium and phosphorousthat whiten teeth by its effect on tooth enamel.
- Sugar free gum with xylitol which is a sugar free sweetener that prevents plaque formation. It maintains the pH level in the mouth and increases saliva production. Saliva is a natural cleaner as it can go in between the teeth and other areas in the mouth to keep it clean. However it may also spread bacteria in the mouth from food debris and sugar so twice daily brushings are important to maintain tooth whiteness.
- Chocolate covered strawberriesmay help in tooth whitening on the basis of a belief that having strawberries make teeth look whiter. On the other hand, chocolate can act as a bacteria fighting agent on account of the presence of the cocoa bean husk. But this method has the drawback that it can add sugar to the body and one must not use this method excessively.
- Baking soda has properties that can remove surface stains, but its abrasive nature may damage tooth enamel making it look darker. It is better to use dentists’ approved toothpastes that have the correct amount of abrasives that do not damage enamel and maintain white teeth.
- Vinegar and lemon or apple cider and vinegar have been used by persons for whitening teeth. But dentists do not recommend these methods as the acid they contain may damage tooth enamel.
In conclusion, tooth whiteness is integral to human beauty. People therefore take pains to maintain this whiteness. In this article 7 natural ways to achieve this goal have been discussed in some detail.
Read more articles on Tooth Discoloration Treatment