Mudra for Headaches and Migraine
- Heightened pressures of everyday life result in headaches and migraines
- Ayurveda classifies headaches as vata type, pitta type and kapha types
- Ayurveda recommendations for headaches and migraines
There is a rising incidence of headaches and migraines owing to heightened pressures of everyday life, and even kids are not spared. The escalating stress of education and competition takes its toll on the young ones too. Popping in a pill every time is never the best course of action for even adults, so it must not be given at all to children. So, how can the little ones get succor. Opt for ayurvedic mudras which are perfectly safe, and with no side effects ensure long lasting relief.
One way to get relief is by placing your ring finger into the fold of the thumb and keep your little finger extended. Do this with each hand. The tips of your thumb, index finger and middle finger should touch each other. Do this mudra three times everyday for 6 minutes each.
Headaches and Migraine are a very complex phenomenon. Ayurveda speaks a great deal about the etiological factors behind headaches and migraine and the ways they manifest. Generally, headaches are classified as vata type, pitta type and kapha types.
For Vata Type Headaches
These headaches are in the back (occipital) portion of the head. They are characterized by a throbbing, and pulsating pain that radiates from the back of the head and may go to the front. A vata headache may be associated with tension in the neck, back stiffness and constipation.
- Oil massage - For tension in the neck and shoulders massage the tight muscles with sesame oil.
Night time foot and scalp message - Before you go to sleep at night, rub some sesame oil on the top of your head and the soles of your feet.
- A soothing paste - Take one fourth tea spoon nutmeg powder and add sufficient water to make a paste , apply this paste to your forehead and leave it on for about half and hour and then wash it off. This should help to soothe a vita type headache and migraine.
For Pitta Type Headaches
A pitta headache starts in the temple area and goes to the central part of the head. A pitta headache is characterized by shooting, burning, piercing or penetrating pain, and it is worsened by bright light, hot sun, high temperatures, by eating sour fruits, pickles or highly spicy food. It may be associated with nausea and/or burning of the eyes. The person may also become quite irritable. A pitta headache is often felt behind the eyes and may be associated with dizziness.
These headaches are related to the stomach and intestines.
- Aloe Vera- If you have a pitta-type headache, take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel upto 3 times a day.
- Eat Something Sweet- Sometimes a pitta headache responds quickly on an intake of something sweet. You can have a piece of sweet fruit, or some ice -cream.
For Kapha Headache
If your headache occurs in winter or spring, or strikes in the morning or evening, and gets worse when you bend down, it is a kapha headache.
- Eucalypus steam- For an immediate relief from a kapha headache, put 10 drops of eucalypus oil in boiling water, cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam. This helps relieve the congestion and often completely takes care of the headache.
- Ginger steam- Boiling fresh ginger or dried ginger powder and then inhaling the steam is also effective.
Read More articles on Ayurveda
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 09, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.