Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young duration
Expected duration of MODY - Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young is an inherited disease, it lasts throughout a person's lifetime after the start of disease.
Maturity onset diabetes of the young is an inherited disorder. It is a type of diabetes that causes elevated blood sugars (hyperglycemia) from an early age (generally before age 25 years).
Based on gene defects, the following six types of MODY are recognised:
- MODY 1 (HNF-4): a rare type of MOD (effects are similar to MODY 3).
- MODY 2 (Glucokinase): causes approximately 10-65% of MODY and most cases are diagnosed in childhood or pregnancy. Most cases are of mild diabetes, which rarely develop complications. Most can be treated with meal planning alone.
- MODY 3 (HNF-1 alpha): causes about 20-75% of MODY and most cases are diagnosed after puberty. Causes more severe type of diabetes and patients may develop diabetes complications. These people are sensitive to oral sulfonylurea drugs.
- MODY 4 (IPF-1): rare form of MODY, which causes rather mild diabetes.
- MODY 5 (HNF-1 beta): rare form of MODY, which is often associated with kidney disease. In many patients, the kidney disease is diagnosed before diabetes.
- MODY 6 (Neuro- D1): extremely rare type of MODY. The severity of this type of MODY is not known.
Duration of Symptoms: As MODY is an inherited disease, it lasts throughout a person's lifetime after the start of disease. The severity of the symptoms and complications, however, can vary depending on the form of MODY such as symptoms of MODY 2 are generally mild, but other types of MODY will get progressively worse over time.
Read more articles on Understand Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY)
Source: Expert Content Jan 03, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.