Living Low-Carb is a diet plan that is designed to lose weight. The book by Fran McCullough has tips to on how to adopt a low-carbohydrate lifestyle and tailor a low-carb diet to your needs and preferences for weight loss. According to the author, several people have been successful in losing weight by following this diet.
How Does the Low-carb Diet Work?
The Living Low-Carb is a diet plan that encourages people to lose weight by limiting the carbohydrate content of their diet. The calories in your diet come from the protein, fats, and carbohydrates that you eat.
Foods that contain carbs include starchy and sugary (both natural and refined sugar) foods, such as bread, pasta, rice, corn, sweets, fruits, and vegetables. In Low-Carb diets you are encouraged to eat high-protein foods, such as milk, eggs, and cheese, and limit high-carbohydrate foods, including fruits and grains. The diet has become popular in the past few years and has been noted to be useful in promoting weight loss. The book has 175 simple low-carb recipes, and guides regarding selecting low-carb foods.
Living Low-carb: Pros
A few pros of the diet are:
- Low-carb diets have been shown to be effective in promoting weight loss. Besides weight loss low-carb can help to reduce cholesterol levels as well
- Excess of anything including proteins and carbohydrates - gives you excess calories. And these excess calories are converted to fats and stored in the body resulting in weight gain and obesity
Living Low-carb: Cons
Some drawbacks of the Low-Carb diet are
- Eating less carbs can make you feel weak, tired, constipated, nauseous, and fatigued
- Low carb diet advocates going into ketosis, but the build-up of ketones (by products of fat metabolism) in your blood is not good. Excess ketones in the blood disturb your metabolism, you lose muscle tissue, minerals form the body, and your brain doesn't work as well as it should
- The diet excludes healthy food items such as milk and high-carb fruits and vegetables like bananas and potatoes which is not good. Rather than excluding healthy foods like milk, vegetables, and fruits you should develop healthy eating habit –that is eat nutritionally balanced diet and aim to lose weight
- Limiting fruits, whole grains and vegetables can result in vitamins, minerals, and fiber deficiency in your body. If you eat a low carb diet consult a doctor for multivitamin and a fiber supplement
You may adapt Low-Carb Living if you want to lose weight. But many experts believe that rather than drastically reducing carbs in your diet follow a healthy lifestyle with healthy eating habits (eat fruits and vegetables, whole grains, milk and milk products, lean protein) and limit your daily calorie intake.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Diet Plans.
For more realted articles, Download OnlymyHealth App.