Black Pepper is known as the 'Lord Of All Spices'. Read how it can be used against neurological disorders.
"And next time when you season don't just use salt but black pepper as well which will help and treat you and your future generation's physical as well as mental health"
Black pepper has its origin especially in Western Ghats of Kerela state in India. Now it is being cultivated to a large extent in Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu and to a limited extent in Maharashtra, Northeastern states and Andaman & Nicobar Islands. It is grown in other tropical countries as well. Presently Vietnam is the largest producer and exporter of black pepper followed by India, Brazil, and Indonesia.
What is Black Pepper?
- Black pepper is the most common and widely used spice for seasoning around the world.
- It has sharp, pungent smell and flavor.
- It is a universal spice packed with high nutritional values.
- It adds the best taste to every type of food.
What's the benefit of black pepper?
- It constitutes riboflavin, thiamine, sodium, potassium, chlorine and has zero calorific value. It also contains some amount of protein in it.
- It's a rich source of vitamin K, calcium, magnesium, iron, fiber and chromium.
- Besides being packed with good nutritional values it also has the capability to fight various diseases and boost our immune system.
- Black pepper has anti-oxidants and anti-tumorous properties so it is extremely helpful in breast cancer, colorectal cancer, and prostate cancer.
- Consumption of black pepper facilitates digestion.
- Its outer layer is used to break fats in the cell that means it can be used effectively for weight loss.
- In Ayurveda, black pepper is used as a respiratory relief element for long.
- It is used to clear the respiratory tracts in case of cough, cold and related issues.
- A well-known fact of this spice is that piperine in black pepper helps to cure depression.
There are a number of other benefits of black pepper but coming to the new study pointing towLets see ards its use in neurological disorder.
What's the New Study?
- Piperine in the black paper can be used in curing of Fragile X-Associated tremor/ataxia syndrome (FXTAS) as discovered by a team of researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology - Indore.
- FXTAS is generally a problem with movement and thinking ability (cognition) which results in tremor, parkinsonism and cognitive decline.
- This is basically caused by a mutation in a gene called FMR1 ( Fragile X Mental Retardation 1) and happens due to the excessive presence of repeats RNA in a particular place of the gene.
- There are 55 repeat RNAs normally in a human body but patients suffering from FXTAS disorder have 200 repeat RNAs.
- Due to this large number of repeat RNAs, cytotoxicity in neural cells is caused.
- Researchers around the world have been trying to adjust the mutation with chemical molecules but haven't succeeded so far.
- The team of researchers found that the pipeline of Black Pepper interacts with repeat RNAs and decreases the level of toxicity in neuronal cells.
Amit Kumar, head of this research said that piperine is popularly known for its anti-carcinogenic, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory, anti-cell death, anti-depressant, antioxidant, nephron-protective and other related issues. The analysis from the researchers emphasizes the role of piperine being the most effective for FXTAS therapy.
Two different cell lines were taken from FXTAS patients which contain repeat RNAs and exhibit the characteristic of the disease. Therapy for CGC repeats is essential for different diseases including FXTAS. This pipeline has been tested in FXTAS patient and gave surprising results but they further need to get confirmation on suitable animal models as argued by Krishnananda Chattopadhyay, a scientist from CSIR who was not involved in the research.
The team of this research included Amit Kumar, Arun Kumar Verma, Eshan Khan, Subodh Kr Mishra and Neha Jain whose outcomes have been published in ACS Chemical Neuroscience journal.
Next time add black pepper to your food and experience a new set of taste and benefits to your life !!!
Read more articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.