Know your Blood Pressure Numbers
- Cardiovascular diseases are the number one killer in the world
- Blood pressure is one of the leading causes of cardiovascular disease
- For maintaining overall health, we all must understand and maintain a healthy reading of our blood pressure
Cardiovascular diseases are the number one killer in the world. Blood pressure is one of the leading causes of cardiovascular disease. For maintaining overall health, we all must understand and maintain a healthy reading of our blood pressure. You must have heard people around you complaining about low and high blood pressure. But do you know what exactly blood pressure is? Do you know about the numbers of blood pressure?
Also Read: Medications to Control High Blood Pressure
Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing through the coronary arteries that help carry blood throughout the body. About 7.1 million people die every year due to high blood pressure. It can easily be avoided by making certain healthy lifestyle choices for a healthier heart. Let us learn more about the blood pressure number:
Blood Pressure Numbers
The second thing you should be aware of when it comes to blood pressure is its numbers. Your blood pressure is recorded in two numbers:
- Systolic Blood Pressure: The top number, it indicates the force exerted by the blood when the heart beats
- Diastolic Blood Pressure: The lowest number, the pressure of blood pushing through your arteries when the heart rests in between beats
Systolic blood pressure is given more attention when it comes to detecting the risk of cardiovascular disease for people over 50. High blood pressure is inevitable after a certain age due to the upsurge of plague, rigidity of large arteries and increased incidences of cardiovascular diseases.
Blood Pressure Readings
- 90/60 means you have low blood pressure
- Between 90/60 and 120/80 means that your blood pressure is fine and you are healthy
- More than 120/80, but lower than 140/90- this means that your BP is normal but not ideal. It is a little higher than normal and you should try to lower your blood pressure and bring it back to normal
- Over 140/90 means that you have hypertension and you need to consult a doctor, make some lifestyle changes and take appropriate medication.
Blood Pressure in Children
High blood pressure can affect children as well. But it is not similar to high blood pressure in adults. Below are given the range of healthy blood pressure considered normal for healthy children:
|1 - 3||80/34 to 120/75||83/3 to 117/76|
|4 - 6||88/47 to 128/84||88/50 to 122/83|
|7 – 10||92/53 to 130/90||93/55 to 129/88|
What Affects Blood Pressure?
- Gender: Males are more likely to have high BP before the age of 55, whereas, women see an increase in blood pressure after menopause.
- Age: Systolic blood pressure increase in adults over 50, which is the main cause of heart disease among the elderly.
- Genetics: If the problem of blood pressure runs in the family, then it is likely for you to develop the problem too.
- Heart rate: High pulse rate can lead to high blood pressure but not necessarily. In some cases, it might lead to dangerous consequences, but since the blood vessels can dilate to facilitate with larger quantities of blood, it might normalize on its own.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jan 06, 2019
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.